Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Oct 30, 2002, 2:19 PM   #1

Default Wanted - Opinions on the Fuji 3800

I am new to this board and would appreciate any comments you can share. I am looking for a new digital camera (I have a 3 year old, 1 megapixel, H/P camera) I've been reading the reviews on several digital camera boards and have my selection narrowed down to: Fujifilm 3800, Minolta F100 and the Sony P7. I really like the features of the Fuji 3800 (6x zoom, electronic thru the lense viewfinder, etc.) but am not sure if I am going to like lugging a big camera around.

If I could get some opinions on the 3 cameras', especially the Fuji 3800. I am basically a point and shoot guy but want to become a better picture taker so am hoping these cameras will fill both ends of my wish list. Thanks in advance for your comments!

I have read that the Fuji 6x zoom takes blurry pictures at the highest zoom unless it is on a tripod. Is this the general consensu?? or bad ifo??
Bill Carcot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 30, 2002, 4:30 PM   #2

I just purchased the FujiFilm Finepix 3800 ($320 at BuyDig.com) and am very happy with it so far. This camera is by no means big, but rather different in shape to the others. I personally like the SLR shape and style. The grip is comfortable in your hand and the camera seems to have the right combination of auto/manual features. I love being able to use the viewfinder to see exactly what I will get in the shot instead of 85% like some other cameras. No other camer in this price range has 6x optical zoom. I am also basically a point and shoot type of user, but have an interest in exploring the manual features of this camera. The battery usage is very good (492 pictures using one set (4) AA alkaline batteries).

PC World just rated the predecessor to this camera (Finepix 2800) as #1. Here is the link:

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/artic...96,pg,2,00.asp

P.S. I just bought a 128 mb xD Picture Card at CompUSA for $69.
bstrohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2002, 7:30 PM   #3

I am new too, I just found the Finepix 3800 for $ 263.99 usd.
That price did it for me. Shoped at Yahoo shopping..

I can't wait to see it!
Jimsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2002, 12:59 AM   #4

Hey Jimsd,

If you can, let us know how your Yahoo Shopping experience goes. While $264 is an awesome price for the Finepix 3800, I'm concerned the price is too good to be true. The price is $40 less than those on Pricegrabber.com and way below the suggested retail price of $450. I wonder if these Yahoo shops sell gray market versions of the camera (i.e. no US warranty), gouge on shipping, or try to hard sell on accessories.

Hope that the 3800 you get is every bit as good as people are saying.
maxbaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2002, 1:22 PM   #5

After a lengthy search I have decided to get this camera … just looking for the right price.

Mind you .. it still doesn’t do all I want .. the ISO at 100 is a pain in the arse, the 38mm wide angle is well …. not wide ….. and the burst mode is only 2 frames. There is no video out either.

It’s far from perfect but in it’s class (mid range/small SLR) it’s the best of frankly, a bad bunch.
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2002, 2:29 PM   #6

Well shopping on yahoo was well, just as you thought.
The price was very good but shipping was a ripe-off and then the insurance was more screwing! I tried three discount sales outfits and they were all the same and to top it off! They all said it would be 3 weeks before they would have the 3800. :evil:

I ordered it from Costco.com yesterday, it will be here today and I have recorse if it is damaged, just take it back to the local Costco.

As for the price, $349.00 and they will stand behind it, not the best deal but what price should I put on pice of mind?
8)
Old Nov 8, 2002, 11:12 PM   #7

After 10 minutes I was popping pics.
So far, I must say this 3800 is nice, I need to do some reading but the operation is very intuitive. As for the zoom, I set the timer and put it down the shot came out very clear and sharp. Much to learn about but overall I would rate it as a good setup.
Old Nov 9, 2002, 2:44 PM   #8

Keep the user reviews coming!!! I am buying one this week and i'm very curious!!! :shock:
Old Nov 12, 2002, 11:00 PM   #9

I have owned my 3800 for about 4 weeks now. I too had an old digital camera - 1.3 megapixel. The thing I like most about the 3800 is simply that unlike my old digital camera, every picture I take comes out sharp. I can safely take pictures I don't want to lose, and know I am going to get them. The camera has been very good on batteries. Fuji digital cameras are known for their accurate color rendition and the 3800 continues that reputation. The camera is comfortable and light. Framing pictures using the EVF is very accurate.

As I see it this camera has one major drawback. It is not very good at taking low/existing light pictures. The camera has shutter speeds and a fairly large maximum aperature that allow you to take low light pictures. The problem is the camera cannot focus in these situations. Many times even indoor existing light will not focus. I am going to experiment with a focus lock feature I have seen in the manual.

With the exception of this drawback the camera is great and well worth the prices I've seen for it.
hbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2002, 12:02 PM   #10

Wherever you go everyone says the same thing ... poor low light pics and a shitty lens cap. I wonder if the Oly 730 is worth the extra dosh??