Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Dec 23, 2004, 4:52 PM   #1

Hi guys!! New here but, not to digital cameras.. I have a Fuji S7000....I got it in May of 2004..(SUPER CAMERA :-D ) and 99% of my photos are of trains taken with natural lighting...I have used the flash a couple of times before and the pix were fine.. With the holidays here I want to take some indoor photos. I was testing the camera and for the life of me I can't get the flash to work... I re-read the manual 10 times and I think I have the settings correct for flash but...... take a pic....NO FLASH :O.... Am I missing something?? I have "fiddled" with the settings in the past but I mainly use the AUTO setting..The last flash pic I took was in August and it worked..

Can it be burnt out with under 10 flash pix under it's belt?? (it looks ok)

ANY IDEAS....

Thanks in advanced
Bob From Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 23, 2004, 6:33 PM   #2
Administrator

Welcome to the forums!

I don't own your model. But, from reading the the review here, it should be pretty straight forward to get it to work.

Pop up the flash while you're in one of the shooting modes. You've got a dedicated button for cycling through the available flash modes -- it looks like a lighting bolt. The forced on choice would also look like a lighting bolt.

If your flash doesn't work this way, I'd make sure that you didn't turn on the External Flash choice under the Record Menuby accident (which will assume that you want to use an external flash in the hotshoe). It should be left set to off for the built in flash.

If all else fails, try resetting everything back to factory defaults. There is a Reset All menu choice under the Setup Menu. You'll see these menus described in your camera's review here:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_...s7000_pg4.html

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2004, 10:55 PM   #3

Good advice Jim, it is often that the settings are wrong or something as simple as not flipping the flash up manually. Many people that come from point and shoot where the flash is built in forget that you have to open the S7k flash manually (I've done that a few times).

Clyde
Clyde Atkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2004, 6:59 AM   #4

Thanks guys... BUT, I've tried all that you mentioned and still no flash..Is there a phone number that I can call?? I can't find one in the docs. I really wanna make sure that the flash isn't working before I send it back for repair..The flash isn't something that I use a lot and I can't be without the camera for 6 weeks.... ANY OTHER IDEAS??

What external flash can I get for the S7000?

Does Fuji make one?

Old Dec 24, 2004, 9:54 AM   #5

There should be contact info on the U.S. Fuji website, www.fujifilm.com/ and if you registered online you should already have a user account. Can't say about any other country.

Clyde
Clyde Atkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2004, 10:04 AM   #6
Administrator

Fuji Customer Care in New Jersey:

1-800-800-3854, option #1
Eastern Business Hours: 9:00AM-8:00PM, Monday-Friday
Holiday Hours, November 22, 2004 through January 14, 2005: 9:00AM-9:00PM, Monday-Friday

Here is the page that I got it from on their web site, which also includes an e-mail contact form:

http://www.fujifilm.com/JSP/fuji/epa...prodcat=234644

There are also numerous repair locations listed:

http://www.fujifilm.com/JSP/fuji/epa...prodcat=234644

As far as a flash, you'llwant one with anAuto Mode. I've seen users post that they've used numerous flashes -- from the Sunpak 383 Super (around $70.00 discounted), to higher end Metz units selling for more than your camera costs.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 10:54 AM   #7

Ok.. Retested the camera with Fuji on the phone and the flash is dead..

If I send the camera to them it may take 3-5 weeks they said.....Christmas defects backlogI guess.. Anyway.. the other fuctions work fine SO I hate to be without a camera that long...(I use it almost everyday)....

What external flash works with the s7000? I don't think Fuji makes one yet..do they?
Old Dec 30, 2004, 4:05 PM   #8

It's my understanding that pretty much anything that fits in the shoe will work. But don't hold me to that, I don't have an external flash.
Basement Shows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2005, 6:59 PM   #9

Well guys.......it's back at Fuji.. I waited until the Xmas defects were finished.. Chris Maxwell at Fuji istaking care of this for me... Thanks for all of your help..:-)
Old Jan 29, 2005, 10:58 AM   #10

Hi Bob .... Bummer about the flash .... You might think of getting a cheap external flash just to have in your camera bag anyway. For an external flash, I hear that just about any non-dedicated flash will work, and even some dedicated ones. I use a 35 year old Sunpak 611 ($50 - 100 on ebay these days) with my Fuji S602 and S7000. I also use a Vivitar 2800 ($10 on ebay these days) with my S602. The Sunpak has a Guide Number of 160 feet at ISO 100 and is a handle mount type. The Vivitar is a very light weight hotshoe mount with two auto settings and one maual ... it has a Guide Number of 80 feet at ISO 100, which makes it about comperable to the S7000 onboard flash set at +.6... 30 rangefeet at ISO 200. There are any number of flash units out there that work with the S7000, as I have read that Fuji specifies the only limiting value to be a 400 volt trigger voltage. So, whatever style you like, and whatever price you wanna pay seems the way of external flash for the S7000.

Good Luck, and ...

Happy Shooting !

Mike
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote