Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Dec 27, 2004, 5:13 PM   #1

I have had the S 5000 for about a year now and always used the USB connection to transfer my shots to the computer. Recently, I bought a Canon i9900 printer and attempted to connect the S 5000 directly to the printer via USB. Didn't work. Since that time, my new shots will not come up automatically on my computer. I have reverted to using Windows Explorer on my Windows XP Pro. I can get the photos that way but it is not as convient. So, I have decided to get a card reader. Which one? I also have a camera using CF cards but I have a slow reader for those. Thanks for any advice you can offer.
BrierS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 27, 2004, 6:20 PM   #2
Administrator

Well... Lexar and Sandisk make USB 2.0 Card Readers that can support xD Picturecard now. These are relatively inexpensive. I'd probably get one of the multi-card readers (that way, if youbuya device that uses a different type of memory, you'll be able to read it if it's supported by the reader).

Steve has some reviews of these models here:

Lexar USB 2.0 Multi-Card Reader

Sandisk Imagemate 8 in 1 USB 2.0 Card Reader

Note that there may be even newer models out now, and the prices have probably dropped some since the reviews.

As far as your camera to PC transfers, I'd check your Autoplay settings. Using Windows Explorer (or under My Computer), Right Click on the drive letter associated with your camera. Then, select Properties and you'll see an Autoplay tab. Make sure that pictures are the file type, and simply tell Windows what action you want it to take when you plug your camera in.

You may also want to make sure you didn't mess up anything in the camera related to USB. I'd probably use the RESET menu choice under Setup (which resets everything back to factory defaults).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 8:40 PM   #3

I bought a xD card reader off eBay for $18 (delivered to my door) that reads my 512mb card, you can get others that read multiple formats. I save battery power by using this reader.
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2005, 6:24 AM   #4

Thanks JimC and Nuke. Though the Sandisk has had mixed reviews outside of this forum, I decided to go with it. Has to be better than not using one.
BrierS is offline   Reply With Quote