Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jun 19, 2002, 12:44 PM   #1

Default S602 problem

I just purchased a Fuji Finepix S602 camera last week. I really love the camera, it does everything I need it to and more. The autofocus works much better than my old Olympus D600 camera.

I was taking pics with the camera yesterday, and all of the sudden, it "locked up". It wouldn't turn off, and none of the buttons on the camera would do anything. I removed the batteries to reset it.

I put the unit in "view" (playback) mode, and all the pictures I took were fine. Then, when I went to record mode, it locked up again. I tried this several times. It always plays back ok, but if you try record anything, it locks the whole camera up. I even tried new batteries and a new smartmedia card. Still locks up.

The camera is only a week old. I'm going to take it back to Ritz Camera today. They said they would exchange it straight across for a new unit.

My concern: is this a common problem? Or did I get just get the one in a million that freaked out?

The camera has been treated like gold; always in the case, never dropped or even banged.

Are Fuji cameras usually pretty reliable?

--Jim
jearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 19, 2002, 2:58 PM   #2

Hi
Sorry to hear that, must be real awful especially with a new camera...
As for reliability, I had a Fujifilm Mx2700, have a Fuji FP4700z and a Fuji 6900Z and no problems till now.
Hope itīll go away.
Bye
Francisco
Francisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2002, 3:58 PM   #3

Default S602 problem

Thanks, Francisco.

I went by the Ritz camera and they gave me a brand new S602 this morning. Keep your fingers crossed! I really like this camera.
Old Jul 22, 2002, 3:07 PM   #4

Your case looks like you batteries went out of power. I noticed that the "low battery" warning is not that visible and appears quite only one sec before the real end of batteries. And when the batteries are dead, the camera locks up.

Are you sure that your new batteries were new ?
noctem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2002, 11:45 PM   #5

Yup, I'm positive the batteries were new. Even tried some nickel-metal-hydride batts out of my other camera.
Old Jul 23, 2002, 12:23 AM   #6

Jearl,
Just grabbing at straws but have seen cameras get real stupid when card is not formatted as the camera manuel says. Know of 1 that only did 1/2 what it should because of this. Most cameras are happest when card has been formatted in camera.
Good Luck,
Gary
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2002, 10:17 AM   #7

Gary:

I guess it is possible that the smartmedia card was bad, but I had just been shooting some pictures in the back yard with that card when it went dumb.

The strange thing was how it would lock up the camera as soon as I went to "record" mode. Playback was fine.
Old Oct 6, 2002, 6:37 PM   #8

Could it have been set in Tiff mode? Mine locks up for about 4 minutes while it records the data. Switch to J.Peg and its fine.
PHILLIPYT555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2002, 9:11 PM   #9

I can't speak for all of these cameras, but mine works great and I haven't had any technical or mechanical problems with it whatsoever. All the reviews I've read say it's the most bang for the buck and this model in particular is high quality.

sev
sever is offline   Reply With Quote