Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Nov 4, 2002, 7:05 AM   #1

Default s602 battery life

hi, totally new to digital cameras, just got a fuji s602 and its going through sets of batteries in less than a day. the guy at the shop said it could be from using the lcd too much, which i guess i was playing sround with alot, but i wouldnt have thought it would use up so much power. im getting some rechargable batteries today, but its still going to be a hassle if i have to recharge them every day. any ideas???
adrianspeich is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 4, 2002, 7:53 AM   #2

Set your 602 auto shutdown timer to 2 minutes, only use the lcd for playback, buy 1800 to 2100 mAh Nimh rechargeables and keep a spare set ready. Don't expect much from Alkaline batts.

When you're learning to use the features, a mains power unit is handy - and don't treat your 602 like a gameboy!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2002, 8:54 AM   #3

cheers for the advice
adrianspeich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2002, 4:59 PM   #4

I followed the advice of Steve here on his website and bough the Maha rechargeable system that he recommends. They're terrific! I'm still amazed at how long they last, even though I use the LCD for viewing and playback of all shots.
kevin.hollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2002, 6:43 PM   #5

Presumably it's a 602 you got? so what do you think of the pics, and aren't you glad it uses AA's - and they keep on getting bigger!
Old Dec 10, 2002, 3:39 AM   #6

I'm always amazed when I hear that a camera salesperson lets a person walk out of a store with an expensive camera without mentioning that they need rechargeable batteries in order to have a good experience starting at DAY 1. They also need to recommend a bigger memory card than comes with the camera: at least 128MB.
Of course I've also read about purchasers who felt "pressured" by salespeople who do exactly that: recommend 2 sets of NiHM batteries, charger, and big memory card while they're paying for the camera.
I don't own a 602, but a simple 1300 and now a 2800. With the 2800 I get about 150 pictures per charge (2MPX/Fine) with the EVF (and camera) set to shutdown automatically at their default times. This is with Maxell 1600mAH NiMH with a slower 7 hour charger. I only use the LCD for occasional checking of macro shots (for depth of field), and where there was some action that I might not have caught due to shutter delay.
In real-world time, taking pictures on vacation, a charge lasts at least a day to a day and a half. So I can take a 3 day vacation with 2 sets of batteries, before I have to recharge (overnight usually).
I have not found this limiting in any way: about 80-100 pictures per day: more than I ever took with my 35mm SLRs.
I do not exhaust my batteries for downloading my pictures or use my 2800 as a Webcam. I invested in a card reader. If I ever use the camera as a Webcam, I'll buy the Fuji AC Adapter.
I'm assuming the 602 consumes about the same power as the 2800.
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2002, 10:25 AM   #7

MentorRon... yes you have said all the right things. Unfortunately, lcd's are attractive to new buyers (they didn't have them on their film cams).

The lcds immediately set a fashion statement when they are seen on, but the power consumption is still comparatively high, so best advise is use it as little as possible.
Old Dec 11, 2002, 12:52 AM   #8
Administrator

Just remember that the S602 is an EVF camera. That little electronic color viewfinder uses just about as much power as the big color LCD. Get the highest power NiMH type AA batteries you can find. I have been amazed by the new 2100mAh iPowerUS batteries, they keep going and going -- sorry energizer rabbit !

See our battery page at:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/nimh_batteries.html

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2002, 4:10 AM   #9

Seems like keeping it asleep as much as possible is the best bet then!

Operating Mode Power Drain
(@ 5 v) Estimated Minutes
(1600mAh, 4.8v
4 NiMH Cells)

Capture Mode, w/LCD 581 mA. Minutes: 159
Capture Mode, EVF 537 mA. Minutes:172
Capture Mode, "sleeping" 140 mA. Minutes:656
Half-pressed shutter w/LCD 631 mA. Minutes:146
Half-pressed w/EVF 587 mA. Minutes: 157
Memory Write (transient) 656 mA. Minutes: n/a
Flash Recharge (transient) 895 mA. Minutes: n/a
Image Playback 333 mA. Minutes: 276