Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 2, 2005, 3:13 AM   #1

I have purchased a Fuji Finepix F810 two weeks ago. At the beginning, the flash was OK but now, when I press on the button 'Flash', the flash doesn't open. It is a hardware problem ?

Thanks
dasv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 20, 2005, 5:16 PM   #2

Hi there - I have exactly the same problem as you on my F810. The flash opened fine for the first couple of weeks, but now it refuses to open at all! Did you get any response to your problem? Thanks. Anthony
acutley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 7:22 PM   #3

Hi, I have also bought a F810 about 1 month ago and the flash worked perfectly until yesterday, but now.... nothing. Everything else on the camera works fine, but the flash will not pop up regardless of the settings. Has anyone else had this problem and been able to fix it?

Regards

jdoram
jdoram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2005, 3:43 PM   #4

I had this problem after 2-3 weeks. The camera was rarely handled during this period but I did make the mistake of trying to fit it into a hard glasses case for protection while traveling. Apparently just the light pressure experienced in closing the case (just not quite large enough) was sufficient to make the flash inoperable.

I went to a repair shop and a fellow repaired it in a max of 5 minutes. He opined, with no input from me, that pressure causes the flash pop-up to fail. I asked if I could learn the secret and repair this myself but he politely demurred.

Just last week, I dropped it on the carpet and the same problem resulted. This time I had to leave it for a week and was advised the repair charge would have been $92 w/o warranty.

I like this camera but it needs an emergency work-around to get the flash up. Could anyone offer a solution? Could FUJI supply some help?
severe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2005, 3:47 PM   #5

Finally I took my camera back to the dealer from whomit wasbought. The store replaced it immediately with no problem. However, this was the first they had heard of this problem.
acutley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2005, 3:20 AM   #6

I had the same problem.
I just held the flash release button down and slid
my thumbnail along the front of the flash and
it eventually popped back open.
This was after my wife let it drop about 5 inches.
redfiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2005, 6:27 PM   #7

Thanks for the tip; I will keep this in mind but will hopefully never have to use it. I bought one of the special screwdrivers as a worst-case option for the future but will obviously try your method first.
Old Apr 3, 2005, 5:23 PM   #8

For the second time, the flash doesn't open anymore. The first time, the provider repaired the flash under warranty and it promises to repair it for the second time.
But for me, it is not a good solution, if I have to send the camera each time there is a light pressure on the flash door. Anyone has a contact with Fuji ?
I have made a phone call with the tech support of Fuji Switzerland, he is agreed that's a weak feature of the Fuji F810 but he refused to explain how to open the flash. Could we make a collective request to Fuji to have a correct solution ? Do the other Fuji FinePix cameras have the same problem ?
dasv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2005, 9:43 PM   #9

Yes, that was my point after my second incident. This problem is destined to reoccur forever with this camera and a simple field-repair is needed to make it a reliable tool, not just a toy. I presume that you have tried prying the flash up with a non-marking wedge like a fingernail or plastic knife maybe. Let me know how that works - if that technique fails for you then I will considerthe special Fuji three-prong screwdriver that I bought as a last resort.

Still like the camera -great features, but it should not have such a fatal weak spot.

I saw another site that was petitioning Fuji to expand the night exposure range for the F810; we should explore a similar action for the flash problem.
Old Apr 12, 2005, 10:26 AM   #10

I have a F810. I have not had the problem yet.

As far as I can see the mechanism is just mechanical. The flash can spring out only when the lens is out, if not the button will not operate. Then when you switch the camera off, a mechanical link closes the flash using the motor of the lens. I caught my little finger inthe flashonce when it was closing and it hurt like a small dog bite! (quite powerful)

If I am right (I have not looked inside), then theproblems of the flash sticking may be due to the casing and not the internal workings.

I would like to know from Fuji if this is the case?? They are such a large company, it seems difficult to get any information from anyone who knows.

Alex.

rednaxela is offline   Reply With Quote