Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 3, 2005, 3:33 AM   #1

... I went for the new year's eve somewhwre in Romania with my fuji ... and i travelled by night most of the time .. when I took the firt shot in train .. i noticed something wrong ... using the flash of the camera ... the foto was over exposed ... when i arrived next day at the destination i began testing , indoor .. when i wasn't using the flash , everithing was OK but when using it .. the fotos were a mess .. if there was any white in the picture .. like seiling or wall .. the subjects in the foto were indescribable ...

... please help me if u know something about this problem .. because i'm kind of desperate because i spent a lot of money on this camera because out here are very expensive .. and above all i don't trust the romanian fuji service, so any solutions that i can try myself are wellcomed

NOTE - the fuji is like new , never touched ground or any other hard objects .. it's intact and clean ... i wonder what is wrong with it ....:?

help me out ... you can also e-mail me directly at : [email protected]

thank you in advance
castravete is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 3, 2005, 7:55 AM   #2
Administrator

Make sure you didn't change anything that could be impacting exposure (flash output, metering mode, etc.).

You may want to reset your camera to factory defaults. You'll find a RESETchoice under the SETUP menu to do this.

It's also possible that your focus point was correctly exposed, yet something closer to the camera was not (as you would expect). For example, if you had the camera aimed at a subject across the room, the flash burst would need to be long enough to illuminate the far awaysubject. As a result,anything much closer to the camera could be overexposed.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 8:44 AM   #3

Here is a sample

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"There is no flash setting for this model that i know of .

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Now i took off the acc. hope that somthing will happen ... if not , i'll try to put it back to factory setting

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"i'll keep you updated
Attached Images

Old Jan 3, 2005, 9:07 AM   #4

I forgot to mention that this problem apears ONLY in AUTO mode , when the sensor detects that the light is weak and that the shoot requires the flash , and the setting becomes 60/f2.5 ... and as i wrote before .. the photo is messed up. If i switch to manual , and I select 2000/f8 everything is OK , and no whitening apears...

i did the reset thing.. but nothing happened .... i'm running out of solutions
Old Jan 3, 2005, 9:27 AM   #5
Administrator

The reason it works better in manual at f/8 is because dramatically less light reaches the sensor through the lens at this aperture setting. Basically, you're just reducing the flash range so much by using a smaller aperture that it appears to work this way.

The EXIF (a header in the image file that shows camera settings used) indicates that it gave you a warning that itdid not have a focus lock when you took this photo. With most models, this is an LEDthat lights steady when a focus lock is achieved, or blinks when you don't have focus lock. Check your manual to see how the S5000 works (the focus lock indication isprobably quite visible in the EVF).

So, the camera had no way to tell what your distance to subject was.

Make sure you've got focus lock before taking a photo (half press the shutter button first, wait for a focus lock, then press the shutter button the rest of the way down).

I'd make sure that you're not holding the camera in a way where you're blocking the Autofocus Assist Lamp.

Also, you may want to try setting it to Center AF (most models are more sensitive this way).

If you can't get a focus lock, you can try focusing on a brighterarea with more contrastat the same distance as your subject. Then, half press the shutter button, reframe so that your subject is where you want it in the image, and press the shutter button the rest of the way down.

One more comment -- with some cameras, use ofa lens adapter can block the AF Assist Lamp. I don't know if this is the case with your S5000 or not. Use of some filters (for example a Polarizer) will also reduce the amount of light reaching the sensor considerably (making it more difficult for a camera to focus).

Quote:
There is no flash setting for this model that i know of
The flash output can be adjusted to + or - .3 or .6 in P/A/S/M modes. But, I don't think this is your problem (it's more likely that it's becauseyou didn't have Autofocus Lock, with the camera trying to use a longer flash burst since it didn't know how close your subject was).

You'll see therecord menu choices described on this page of your model's review here:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_...s5000_pg3.html
Old Jan 3, 2005, 10:08 AM   #6

Maybe in that example the focus wasn't made , but I can assure you that I took some shots when everything was OK , the focus was OK , the distance was OK , I was in AUTO mode and .. bang .. the photo .. white .. and it seems like the setting when using the flash is stuck to 60/f2.5 ,... even if I put the camera into light .. .... same setting ..

I quess something is wrong with the sensor .. because .. earlyer .. it didn't have this kind of problems .. because a made a lot of photos in low light and the difference from then and now , is too obvious.
Old Jan 3, 2005, 10:12 AM   #7
Administrator

castravete wrote:
Quote:
Maybe in that example the focus wasn't made , but I can assure you that I took some shots when everything was OK , the focus was OK , the distance was OK , I was in AUTO mode and .. bang .. the photo .. white .. and it seems like the setting when using the flash is stuck to 60/f2.5 ,... even if I put the camera into light .. .... same setting ..

I quess something is wrong with the sensor .. because .. earlyer .. it didn't have this kind of problems .. because a made a lot of photos in low light and the difference from then and now , is too obvious.
Most cameras use the largest available aperture for flash photos in Auto Mode (f/2.8 on your model), with a fixed shutter speed of around 1/60 second.

The way that exposure is controlled is by varying the length of the flash burst -- which will depend on the distance to the subject. So, if you don't have a focus lock, this can impact exposure.

Again, make sure you're getting focus lock now.

Ifyou can't get a focus lock, even on a subject with good contrast at a range that the Autofocus Lamp is working at -- at full wide angle (where you'll have less camera shake that can impact focus reliability), then it's possible that the camera is defective (but it's more likely to be a settings problem, or the way that you're using it).
Old Jan 3, 2005, 10:20 AM   #8

What settings cand I make in AUTO .. just macro / auto flash / flash /red eye ... that's all .. so , I begin to think it's something wrong with the camera :sad:
Old Jan 3, 2005, 10:23 AM   #9
Administrator

castravete wrote:
Quote:
What settings cand I make in AUTO .. just macro / auto flash / flash /red eye ... that's all .. so , I begin to think it's something wrong with the camera :sad:

It may be defective. But, it appears that not getting a focus lock is the most likely problem (which could be a defective camera, or could be the way you're using it).

In addition to usingthe RESET Menu Choice, you may also want to try leaving the batteries out fora day or two. Sometimes, that will cause a camera to "reboot" back to factory defaults (sometimes the firmware can get confused -- justlike a PC's Operating System-- impacting the way a camera operates).

Added:

I'd also make sure you're using high capacity, full charged NiMH battteries. Battery problems can also cause a camera to behave abnormally (many modelswon't work correctly trying to use Alkalines). You can see more about batteries on this page:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/nimh_batteries.html

Old Jan 3, 2005, 10:37 AM   #10

OK , I'll try to do the battery off thing, hoping that it will reset the firmware.

btw - is there a firmware update ? because i made a search and nothing came up, and if it is one , how can i do it .... meantime i'll try to let tha camera powerless.

Thank you very much for the advice , I'll keep you updated if anything changes.

PS - you'll have to trust me that i've learned to work with this camera because i've got it for a long time , and the way I use it should not be considered as a problem, maybe i cannot express myself adequate , because english is not my native language, and maybe it's kind of difficult for you to understand what really happens with my camera ... well .. if nothing turns up well , in the situations when i used AUTO i think i'll just have to begin using MANUAL instead... we'll see

thank you again