Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Nov 6, 2002, 4:09 PM   #1

Default S602Z--3 LCD Problems/Questions...

Hey all,

1. When I take a picture the image I see in the viewfinder is NOT the same image that gets recorded. Try this experiment--frame an object so that it is on the extreme left side of the image. The top, bottom, and left side of the object should be just cut off by a hair in the EVF. Then, move it to the extreme right and do the same thing, this time cutting off the right side of the object by a hair. Now view the images in the LCD panel display--you'll see that there is some air between the edges of the object and the edge of the image, even though they're supposed to be cut off! Has anyone else noticed this?

2. When I take a picture and view it in the LCD, it appears MUCH brighter than it eventually looks when I transfer it to the computer and view it. This is not an LCD brightness issue--the relative brightness of parts of the image are compressed towards the high side. So, I find that an image that looks ok on the LCD, even when the LCD is set at the lowest brightness setting, is far underexposed.

3. On the S602Z, I've noticed recently that when I adjust the LCD brightness (shift + Display), the brightness changes according to my button presses but the meter that's supposed to show where it's set doesn't move. It stays at the halfway point. If I cancel out and go immediately back to it, then it properly reflects the brightness level and works just fine.

sev
sever is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 7, 2002, 3:48 PM   #2

Sever... Yes I've read about the problem you describe - either here or in a 602 review somewhere. I recall the response was: if you want perfect framing get a digital SLR! However, I am somewhat mistified as to why an electronic image cannot be acurately framed on the lcd.

I now regard the lcd as merely telling me roughly what I've got, before and after a shot. I suspect Fuji use as few bit levels as possible, without tube gamma correction, to reduce processor/memory overhead, although from what you say, it can't even show correct framing!. I don't use the lcd for ligting composition. This is probably why they offer bracketed exposure options. But what I would prefer, is to see a live histogram whilst I'm shooting - that might be believable. For manual exposure, seeing white clipped highlights is most important.

I'm wondering also what the 'TV out' shows - whether that's correctly framed or not, perhaps you could stick one of those Casio mini TV's on the output!. Most prof. TV cams used to have mono. viewfinders, but at least you could focus well with them, whilst framing and linearity was spot on with output.

Re brightness disparity, perhaps the function of the viewfinder is just to let you see the image? After all these crude mini lcd's are not going to have much dynamic range - they need to be quick!. How much auto exposure happens afterwards when the image has been captured? If you use a film SLR, the lens is wide open to the viewfinder, but cranked down to the stop level when you shoot.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2002, 4:41 PM   #3

I guess I can accept the framing deal, since it only happens before the shot and then when you view your exposures it gives you an accurate representation. And for when that doesn't work, there's always the crop tool in photoshop.

There is an exposure meter in S, A, and M modes that helps you dial in the right value and there are histograms once you go back and view images that were already taken. I just spent the weekend at Yosemite, and I have a feeling I made a typical amateur mistake. When I saw how good the images looked that were slightly underexposed according to the histogram, I started underexposing all my images to ensure good color saturation. Now I've got to Photo-chop, -crop, and -shop just about every image to see if there's anything worthwhile in the picture. I should have trusted the scientific output rather than the LCD image, I guess.

I think from now on, until I get used to this camera's exposure habits, I'll shoot in S/A/M for center-weighting the histogram with no clipping (unless it's a night or a snow shot) and double-check by shooting the occasional Program mode exposure to see what the camera thinks.

I'm still mystified about the brightness meter thing. Seems like a software problem--maybe that's a legitimate gripe and I can talk to Fujifilm about it...

sev
sever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2002, 1:16 PM   #4

I'm surprised that posters on these forums don't read many professional reviews of digial cameras.
I've noted that when a review goes into detail, they mention the degree of accuracy of both the EVF and LCD
(see http://www.imaging-resource.com/DIGCAM01.HTM).
In many ( if not all) cases the EVF and LCD's accuracy is different by a few percentage points, say one is 96% and the other 98%. Naturally that means what you see in one is NOT exactly what you will see in the other. Also the brightness, contrast and tint will probably be different, even if just because they have a different number of pixels and are viewed under different conditions.
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote