Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 4, 2005, 7:04 PM   #1

I have a "zoom error" message on my brand new Fuji Finepix E550. It worked ok for a few days, altho a couple of times it seemed to "lock up" and would not take pics. But after changing batteries and/or turning it off and on, it seemed to be ok. Batteries are fully recharged, and I also tried new alkaline batteries. No luck. It is now stuck in thezoom out position and I am getting the "zoom error" message. I e-mailed Fuji, buttheir response answered none of my questions and only provided me with an 800 # to callfor nearest repair dealer. I ordered it online and e-mailed the seller, but am not too optimistic they will exchange it for a new one. (I am now wishing I had paid a little extra to buy it locally so I could just return it). I've seen from a few other posts at various websites (one here from 12/7 under "which camera to buy") that mycamera may not be just an isolated lemon. Looks like it might be Fuji's lemon. I did a lot of research on the web as to what digital to buy for my first one and I narrowed it down to two models (with this site providing the most in-depth and thorough information I might add). But now I wish I had chosen the other one. And based on Fuji's "canned" replies to e-mails and phone calls, I'm guessing they have their hands full with problems with this new E550.
ripleymi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 6, 2005, 12:09 AM   #2

You are correct in that buying from an actual store, or the web site of an established store or store chain, would have made this much easier on you.

It does sound like your camera is defective. You'll need to call Fuji and arrange for a warranty repair through them, as it doesn't sound hopeful the online merchant is going to do much.
atlantagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2005, 11:03 PM   #3

I recently purchased E550 and have experienced the exact same problem that you have described. The lens is stuck in a zoom position and I am receiving a zoom error. The camera is less than two weeks old and I am now off to deal with the hassle of trying to get it fixed.

Garmoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2005, 8:08 PM   #4

I sent my E550 to the Fuji Service Department in Edison NJ and received it back ten days later. It's working again...for now. There was no explanation on the paperwork as to what the problem was or what they did to repair it. Just a note saying to refer to the service reference number when making any inquiries.... meaning if I have to send it back again I guess. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. There was no charge for repair as it's under warranty, but they don't reimburse you for shipping & insurance costs to send it to them. Very disappointing experience for a brand new camera.
ripleymi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 10:37 AM   #5

I bought a e550 in December. After taking a couple of pictures It lock up and I got the zoom error message. I returned to the place I bought it, Abes of Maine ( which strangely is in Brooklyn) and they promptly replaced it with another one. I happily used this one for about six weeks before it too locked up and gave me the zoom error message. I'm now past the exchange period for the store so I sent it to Fuji repair in Edison, N.J. and it looks like its going to take 5-6 weeks to get it fixed!

The image quality and features of this cameraare great but judging by all the zoom error complaints from other people across the web I wouldn't buy it and I'm sorry I did.

It also appears that other Fuji models have the same defect including the 7000.
alistairm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2005, 5:52 PM   #6

A follow up to the first message. I got my e550 back from fuji repair in edison, n.j..

in about 3 weeks. It worked for another few weeks and then broke again with the

same stuck lense, zoom error problem!
alistairm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 10:04 PM   #7

I called Fuji about this problem before I purchased the e550, and they told me it was generally caused by something blocking the lens or Alkaline's low on power. They said it could be fixed by leaving the batteries out of it for over 3 hours. Strange but, okay.

I have had the camera 2 or 3 weeks now, and I had a near error experience. It was in my pocket, and possibly accidently powered up. When I found it, the lens was partially retracted and the camera off. I was scared it had an error, but it corrected itself no problem once it powered up. So far I've had no error using only Ni-MH batteries, but I wish it was something Fuji didn't make us have to deal with.
Carskick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 11:01 PM   #8

I bought an S5500 a couple of months ago. The first week I had it I got the "zoom error" message, though it continued to work without problems. I read all the posts and had it swapped for another one, as it was within 14 days of purchase. Haven't hadthe same problemwith the next one ... [EDITED] BUTI now havea stuck pixel in the LCD ... that said I'm VERY CAREFUL not to obscure the lens and ALWAYS have the lens adapter fitted.
lhtorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2005, 7:31 AM   #9

Carskick wrote:
Quote:
I called Fuji about this problem before I purchased the e550,....
Quote:
I wish it was something Fuji didn't make us have to deal with.
After years of great pictures with my 1400, I was going to move to the E550. I didn't call, but e-mailed the US product manager asking for any information on the problem. I explained that I simply wanted any Fuji-based statement, since the issue seemed to happen to a lot of E550 owners.

I didn't hear back. After 2 weeks, I bought a Kodak camera. It has an interlock that makes it so you have to WANT to turn it on (and people complain about this!) -- and it automatically stops lens extension if anything substantial blocks it.

Sorry to have left the Fujifilm world... the Fujifilm 1004 Zoom was a fantastic bargain, given its picture quality... but I've always hit the jackpot on any feasible product problem -- if there's any chance of aproblem, I get a unit with it.

Dave
DGehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2005, 4:06 PM   #10

This just happened to me. =( It had nothing to do with environmental (heat, humidity) like I'd read on other posts. Here's what happened...

While on the couch w/ my new baby, I placed the camera (while the lens was extended) between a couple of pillows to rest. When I picked it up again, it has the zoom error message as you all have unfortunately seen.

Seems a bit temperamental to render the camera useless if the lens gets touched wrong... why not shut the camera off or something less catastrophic? The camera's been dropped and nothing happened, but behavior is ridulous.

Just on my way to the store to (hopefully) return for another brand ASAP! Three weeks old or less...

Good luck!
picme is offline   Reply With Quote