Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 10, 2005, 7:06 PM   #1

I have a Fuji S7000 and I bought a Seagate 5gb, when I tried to install it, I get a message that says: Card not initiated.

Does anybody know what do I need to do?

Thanks!

Titicomo

Titicomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2005, 9:14 PM   #2

Normally that would mean that you need to "initialize" (format) the card in the cam. The S7000 only "officially" supports 2gb drives, though some people have gotten 4gb Hitachi drives to work through changing the drive partitions I think. I don't know the ins and outs of that, as I use a 2gb Hitachi drive that worked as soon as you pushed it in the slot, no initializing. If you go to the Dpreview Fuji list and do a thread search, you should find some info on how to do it. I even think that there was some info on this site (Steve's, check under memory) on how to accomplish this. The 2.5 Seagate would probably be an easier one to work with, that should be able to be formatted as 2gb. BTW, I've been watching for the Seagate drives to enter the retail market sector as they have been OEM and no retail for several months. Where did you buy one and how was the price? Or did you take one from an MP3 player?

Clyde
Clyde Atkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 8:34 AM   #3

Hi,

I cannot help you with your problem but my daughter is thinking of buying a Fuji S7000, what do you think of it?

It looks a lot of camera for under £300.00 and it would suit her budget nicely.
bilirubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 5:55 PM   #4

Though there are some in this forum and others that will complain about excessive "noise" (as well as some reviewers), my experience has been good, crisp shots with a minimum amount of noise. Most who see "noise" are seeing it on their monitor screen when viewing pics at 100-200%, under those conditions most digital cameras will show some noise and artifacts. To my way of thinking, the absolute test is what the prints look like, not how they appear on my monitor, my prints up to 8x10 have looked great (have not done larger yet). I've had my S7000 for several months, it has a lot of features for the money, you can grow with this camera for a long time going from full auto to full manual, and anywhere in between. While the optical zoom is "only" 6x, it can be enhanced by adding a teleconverter lens like the Olympus tcon-17 ($85-$100 USD), giving you a little over 10x zoom. A good all around camera, has great macro modes, takes good video (with sound), uses multiple data storage types (xD, CF, and microdrive), good built in flash and a hot shoe for adding external flashes, uses AA batteries rather than a proprietary battery, etc. I would suggest going to the Fuji list at Dpreview and looking at some of the S7000 users shots (both on the forum and atuser's galleries). I like this camera a lot, but then I'm biased because I own one.

Clyde
Clyde Atkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 8:06 PM   #5

Thankyou for your response. The price was $150.00 on e-bay.

Titicomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2005, 7:16 PM   #6

bilirubin wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

I cannot help you with your problem but my daughter is thinking of buying a Fuji S7000, what do you think of it?

It looks a lot of camera for under £300.00 and it would suit her budget nicely.
I have had mine for almost 4 months now & have found it to be a very capable camera. My biggest gripe about the camera is the lack of ISO 100 support which should cut what little noise is noticeable at ISO 200 out of the picture not to mention give a better daylight photo option.

I've shot more than a thousand photos & have had very good luck indoors & outdoors, day & night, with & without flash.

Battery life is excelent, at least for me. Using flash about 50% of the time I've shot 400+ photos on 1 set of 2300mAh NiMH rechargeables.

I would say that for it's current price range, you'll be hard pressed to find a better camera.

below is a link to the 1st photos I took with my S7000, shot 2 days after I got the camera & before I ever read the manual.

***Dial-Up WARNING*** the photos in the link are very large up to 4048x3040 resolution & up to 8MB file size

http://www.pbase.com/chaosdsm/ioa92504

chaosdsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 4:44 AM   #7

Hi,

Thank you for your reply re the S7000, looking at the photos I think the camera will suit my daughter and her budget very nicely, you have taken some great shots there.

The photos brought backsome good memories for me when we were over in the States, the Jurassic Park ride is awesome.

Thanks

Mike

bilirubin is offline   Reply With Quote