Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 11, 2005, 10:12 AM   #1

First of all, hello everyone, I'm new to this forum, my name's Fabio, I'm 25 yrs old and I live in Italy. I already have a traditional reflex (Nikon F80) and I bought my first digital camera - Fuji Finepix F810 - six days ago. Now, I bought that camera after having compared the technical features of several cameras. I chose that one because it seemed to me a good camera that I could bring with me everyday, with some interesting additional features such as the bracketing, the AF light, and so on.

Now, it is a very well built camera, it's strong, it has a nice wide display, it has a not-so-bad zoom and last but not least the price was quite good (479 euros).

As I said before, it is my very first digital camera, so I may have done something wrong with the camera settings (but I don't think so), but I noticed that it's not possible to choose the JPEG compression level! It is only possible to set the resolution (number of megapixels). Actually, there are two quality settings for the 12 MPs (interpolated) resolution, Fine and Standard, but that's it!

Furthermore, the quality of the photos I take is quite poor if they are displayed at their actual size (6MP), nothing to do with the sample images that I found around in the Internet. There is a lot of noise, some sort of grain, and on the borders it is often visible the purple fringing effect. And this happens even if I select the full auto mode, at the lowest sensibility possible (80 ISO). I know the purple fringing effect depends on the lens (and on the CCD maybe?), but what about the grain?

my question is: am I doing something wrong? is the F810 a really poor camera? or, MY F810 has something wrong, or it is damaged?

I can't attach one of the photos because it would exceed the maximum allowed size, and the grain wouldn't be so visible at a smaller size.

Please let me know your opinions.

Thanks in advance
budiulik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2005, 5:01 PM   #2

Fabio, if you display a 6MP picture at their actual size, not matter what you do always there will be a lot of grain and noise. The actual size of a 6MP picture displayed in the monitor is actually very big, maybe 3 or 4 times the size of the monitor. The fallowing URL are for two very different subject taken with a Fuji F810, resized down to 800x600 for WEB publication. What's your opinion Fabuio?

Regards
Ricardo

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...m/Colonial.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...CF0670ACRR.jpg
Ricardo Nunez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2005, 1:44 AM   #3

hi Ricardo, thanks for your answer. I looked at the 800x600 pictures, I can't tell anything about the grain because, as you said, it is visible when displaying a picture at its actual size. The pictures look good, except for the same problem that I have, that purple-fridging effect that you can see, for example, along the borders of the leaves on the right side of the second photo; actually, there seem to be a lot of grain over the flowers in the second shoot, but I don't know if it is due to the real surface consistency of the flowers or if it is an unwanted effect. Let me know.

Ciao and thank you!

PS: I will try to post one of my shoots later today, resized to 800x600.
Old Jan 12, 2005, 2:29 PM   #4

Favio, what you see as grain over the flower is actually the flower petal's skin wich is like velvet. The picture you are seeing is actually a section of the original, in other way very heavily crop which accentuate any unwanted effect.

Regards
Ricardo
Ricardo Nunez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 2:24 AM   #5

ok, as I said in my first post, I'm a digital photography newbie. I've always used tradional SLR cameras, so please forgive my ignorance. Someone told me that the heavy grain I get in my shots may depend on the following factors:

- shooting at low shutter speed (I mean, setting times less than 1/100 sec.)
- shooting at maximum aperture (F 2.8)
- both of them

Is that correct?

Maybe I'm expecting from this digital camera far more that it could ever offer, in terms of image quality. I've still in mind the results I get with a traditional SLR camera on tape, and there's no match, especially in certain situations (low light + high exposure times, etc.).

Anyway, thanks for your help and support.

Bye.