Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 28, 2005, 3:01 PM   #1

I have spent the last few hours coming to the conclusion that the E550 is the right camera for me. But I was under that foolish impression that it could record to compact flash rather than its worthless and expensive and propietary xD card. Does anyone know how I can hack this to record to Compact Flash (which is the only medium with decent prices in the gigabyte range). The deal breaker is that I want to use this to also record VGA video and 512MB xD is simply too small and too expensive.

Help! I really want a solution.
jpetit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 28, 2005, 5:42 PM   #2

You'd need to do more than 'hack' it - you'd need to completely redesign it as it doesn't have a CF slot. :O
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 8:28 AM   #3

I'd agree. You'll either want to return it or cave in and buy XD cards.
Basement Shows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 10:02 PM   #4

I would hesitate to call xD a completely proprietary format, as it was a Fuji/Olympus joint development, there are even a couple of new Kodak cameras that use xD cards. And in the last couple of months, xD card prices have been dropping, so while they are not as cheap as CF yet, they are getting better. In my opinion, the memory format is not nearly as important as the features/functions of the camera and the quality of the end result, the pictures.

Clyde
Clyde Atkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2005, 9:15 AM   #5

Clyde Atkinson wrote:
Quote:
In my opinion, the memory format is not nearly as important as the features/functions of the camera and the quality of the end result, the pictures.
And remember its a one-off purchase :-D
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote