Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 30, 2005, 6:58 PM   #1

I just ordered an S7000 after weighing all of the variables (especially my wallet). NOTE: I plan on buying a DSLR in future, probably a Minolta or a Pentax since I have a very complete 18mm to 210mm Minolta lens set and a couple of Pentax lenses from my film days. The problem is that there is a big jump from $700 Canadian and $1300, so for the time being I invested in a 3 year camera, one which has to meet my digital needs until I can afford a DSLR (probably about 3 years unless the prices take a drastic plunge)

Enough about the reasons, the S7000 offered a lot of features which made it very economical compared with other "prosumer" digicams:

1- It was less expensive than any of the other large lens models.

2- It does not require a proprietary battery so my NiMH AAs will work (my Pentax Optio 33L also uses AA)

3- It uses CF cards (I have two 256MB cards and a couple of smaller cards for my 33L and my wife's Canon A60)

4- It uses a generic flash (so my Vivitar 285 can now come out of retirement)

5- It uses a standard cable release (so my cables and my bulb and tube unit can now also return from retirement)

6- I was given an adapter tube by a friend so my Cokin filters can now also come out of retirement (they did not work well on my Minolta lenses since most of them, except for the 50mm f1.7, had rotating front elements)

I am aware of the image quality issues noted by most reviewers, however Steve, Popular Photography and imaging, and Practical Photography all note that this camera still produces magnificent large prints, and probably has less noise in low light than the 8MP cameras out there.

Anyone have any other advantages to add to my list, or any problems that I can avoid if warned?

Ira

BTW: I am very happy with my Pentax Optio 33L, I just wanted more manual control, a higher resolution and a form factor closer to the SLRs I have used for so many years (first Pentax dates from 1979).
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 30, 2005, 7:51 PM   #2

Anyone have any experience with a Cokin filter holder (A-series) and lens hood on the S7000. Will it interfere with focusing by blocking the external focus port in front of the flash.

Ira
Old Jan 30, 2005, 8:34 PM   #3

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
...4- It uses a generic flash (so my Vivitar 285 can now come out of retirement)
Watch out for the trigger voltage of the flashgun!

Quote:
From http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html"The 285HV has a voltage of 12V. The 285 has a voltage of 350V."

I'd be wary of using an older 285 without a safe sync, but apparently Fuji rate the s7000 for 400V - which sounds unbelievably high to me. If you have the 285HV you'll be fine.

Quote:
5- It uses a standard cable release (so my cables and my bulb and tube unit can now also return from retirement)
Just remember not to press too hard on the cable release - there's no obvious end-stop on the cable like you get with SLRs.

Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2005, 9:36 PM   #4

Check theserial number to be sure you don't get one of the ones with power issues. If you suddenly find your battery drained and you havent used the camera, it could be one of those older serial number ones. It only does it with certain CF cards.

Also don't use old CF cards, they are too slow and camera will lock up at times and video wont record without errors.

Shoot 12MP Fine. That gives you the best shots with the least noise and you can crop a lot to get the best images.

Have fun!!!
host is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2005, 9:34 AM   #5

Hi Ira! :bye:

My first ever photography forum post was in reply to you,

here, back on August 30th of last year. You were discussing

the Fuji advance info on the then-upcoming S5100.

Well, Mrs. Santa came through. :love:

I'm really loving my S5100. I understand your reasons though,

for choosing the S7000, the higher resolution and the

compatibility (hopefully) with some of your existing accessories.

Like you, I wanted a D-SLR, and like you I have an

inventory of old Minolta Maxxum lenses, but even a

Digital Rebel is beyond my means, let alone a Maxxum 7D.

So, like you, I'll leave such dreams for next time.

Not onlyis the S5000-5100/5500-7000 line more affordable,

butthose fast, versatile, long lensesaffordopportunities

which would cost a fortune to gear up for with a Rebel.

I see you've recently joined up over at http://www.s5000.net

It's a good spot, all about just those three models.

It's still January and I've already posted three shots there.

I can't help myself, I'm having too much fun!

I look forward to seeing someS7000 shots from you there soon.

Best of luck.

regards,

---Swampy.
Swampdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2005, 8:17 PM   #6

Swampy

Glad to hear from someone in similar circumstances. I have tested my Vivitar 285 and found the trigger voltage is only 7.54V so it will work fine, I also note that the newer S7000 should no longer have the CF card battery drain problem so I anxiously await its arrival.

I really like the S5100, the biggest factor that sent me to the S7000 is the external flash capability, I have always had big flash units to cover big rooms with my 35mm outfits (I have a 4000AF flash for my Minoltas and the Vivitar for my older Pentax) so I really missed the range the big flash gives. I realize that the S5100 can use a slave but these are vulnerable to other flash units (someone else takes a picture, your flash goes off). My wife, Annette, uses a fuji 2800Z and she really wants the S5100 (Next Christmas may be her upgrade). I particularly like the big ISO range of the S5100 and that killer lens.

I have handled the D-Rebel (belongs to a member of a little photo group we had last year)and taken some shots with it and the image quality is great but the camera has a very flimsy feel for the price (the Pentax *istDS feels much more solid). I have handled the S5100 at the local Radio Shack and found it very satisfying, I think Fuji did the right thing using a regular 4MP sensor with lower ISO available, this resolution would be plenty for me, I will probably not go beyond 8X10 anyway. The AA battery compatibility is another big plus.

Hopefully Minolta will have a Maxxum 70D in the next couple of years, I would be happy with a lower spec camera as long as it had quality and used my lenses (my first series Maxxum flash units became obsolete when Minolta changed their flash shoe years ago).

Where do I look on the user forum to find your pictures?

Ira

Corrected spelling!

Old Feb 2, 2005, 8:41 AM   #7

http://www.s5000.net/forums/yaBB/cgi...num=1105560677

http://www.s5000.net/forums/yaBB/cgi...num=1105649492

http://www.s5000.net/forums/yaBB/cgi...num=1106681627

That's the three of them.

I bought a Maxxum 3xi in 1994 (my first SLR). I have a 3500xi flash for it.

Then in 1997 I got my first digital, a point-and-shoot Olympus D-220L

(5 mm lens on a whopping 0.3 megapixels).

But even with such a low-spec digicam, the convenience and

instant gratification spoiled me, and the Minolta started to get used

less and less. Then in 2002 my wife and I bought a Nikon FM10 35mm

for her Dad, but it was a bit much for a novice, so he got himself

an automatic and returned the Nikon to my wife. Finally, this xmas,

I got my S5100. So, now, I use the Fuji, my wife uses the FM10,

my 10-year-old daughter uses the old Olympus, and alas,

the 3xi and its lenses languish in my sock drawer.

(That's my biography as far as photography's concerned, for what it's worth.)

I understand what you mean by "flimsy feel". It is my one greatest

lament about the S5100 ...it's so light. Maybe it's just because it's

my first serious digicam, I'm used to holding a 35mm SLR, but the lightness

of it was really off-putting to me at first. I got over that though,

and now I'm quite in love with my S5100.

Yes, Iam glad of the lower ISO range, compared to the S5000.

I get 64-400 for jpegs, 64-200 for raw. I never leave 64 unless the

light really forces me to. I find that 200'sstillnot badthough.

400 needs noise filtering,but I got some decent 400 shots in the arena

at my nephew's hockey game two weeks back (final three sure was handy).

I suspect the S5100 is right for me, I rarely use flash.

I'm a bit of a hermit, an indoor group shot is not something

I'm ever likely to want to take.

Thanks for the reply Ira, and good luck with that beautifulS7000!

regards,

---Swampy.

Swampdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2005, 8:41 PM   #8

Swampy, Nice squirrel!!!

The camera arrived today, didn't get the opportunity to take anything worth posting yet. I did get the opportunity to set up the tripod and do two identical shots, one at 12MP Fine the other at 6MP (standard, no other compression levels available). There was very little difference in quality, and actually a little less noise in the 6MP mode than the 12MP mode (as others implied).

This camera is going to be a lot of fun.

Ira
Old Feb 2, 2005, 8:56 PM   #9

The 12MP Fine shots will show much less noise when you start to enlarge the images. If you take two similar shots with some blue skies in them and then look at the 12MP Fine at about 66% and the 6MP Normal 100% you will see much more noise in the 6MP because of the compression ration. If you wanting to save some space Choose 12MP Normal and at least you will get less noise and more croping capability. It also appears that the 12MP Normal has some type of noise reduction because the images look a little softer to me.

Have fun with your new camera! I've shot over 4,000 images with mine and gotten some great shots. It's extremely dependable. I have had just a handful of shots that were out of focus out of the many photos I have taken. The scene modes work very good to. If you like moving shots, try the action mode. It works well.

Also I almost always use continuous autofocus on this camera. I have had other digicams that worked best in single focus mode but the focus on this camera is very accurate and the continuous autofocus helps to keep your image sharp even if there is some change in the frame when your shooting.
host is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2005, 7:35 PM   #10

I have to say, I am the Lab Manager for a Cord Camera and I just got a 20x30 print from my Dads Fuji s7000. (I have the same model) He took the shot of his cat in 12mp fine mode and then croped a 20x30 section out of it(useing Photoshop)and saved it as a tif. So he effectively cut it in half. I got the print back today and its gorgeous. I see a little noise very close up in a few high contrast areas but step a few feet away from it and its golden.Once in the frame Im in love..:-) I don't know how much bigger you want to go with your prints but up to 20x30 prints shot at 12mpfine (CUT IN HALF!)Look sweet as hell! I just sent one in that's just a 6mp image that I didn't have to crop and will let you know how that goes.

BTW I have to send prints that large to the pro shop. I can only do 8x12 at my lab.
DocX is offline   Reply With Quote