Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Nov 18, 2002, 11:13 AM   #1

Default 3800 Frozen Screen While Shooting (New Photos)

How do I follow moving objects with the 3800 while it is taking the picture? :?: All my moving object pictures are out of frame as the EVF or rear screen freeze during the Focus/Shoot time.

http://www.chilese.com/index.cfm/pho...0-0004AC4C1EA1

Only one picture on the above link is a moving 3800 shot, all the rest were unusable. Large shots from 3800. Smaller pictures from 900s.

My son just got this camera and I have been using my Nikon 900s for years. On it, I just use the rangefinder glass to keep objects in frame.
chilese is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 19, 2002, 8:37 PM   #2

Well if you are talking about the breif delay when you push the switch down? You need to do it 1/2 way before you are going to make the shot then it will come back to live action. Then your setup for the shot.

I did this too and that is what fixed the problem for me.
Jimsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2002, 2:24 PM   #3

Thanks, I understand the 1/2 push method you describe and agree it helps. With moving objects (for me that's sport kites) the 1/2 push method could easily lead to an out of focus picture as I may need to follow the kite for a few seconds. I am left with the option of continuously 1/2 pushing and releasing until I get the composition I want, or to add an external rangefinder system (something as simple as a soda straw glued to the body) and simply follow the kite and do a full push at the proper time using the pointer to follow the action.

Thanks for replying. I just wish this camera had come with a rangefinder also.
Old Nov 20, 2002, 3:31 PM   #4

The trick is to keep BOTH eyes open. Your left eye keeps the subject centered over the focus spot brackets seen by the right eye in the finder.
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2002, 5:41 PM   #5

MentorRob. Thanks for your excellent suggestion. My father always told me to keep both my eyes open in life. I guess it's still true with cameras. I'll be testing your idea out this weekend.
Old Nov 22, 2002, 8:12 PM   #6

Good point Ron, I also would turn off post pic preview. That takes up way to much time from shootind pics. I will be using both eyes too!
Jimsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2002, 8:19 PM   #7

You can, in addition, set the camera to take several shots with one press of the button. My 2800 takes about 2 pictures per second in that mode, and I can delete the less than perfect ones.
Old Nov 25, 2002, 12:25 PM   #8

http://www.chilese.com/index.cfm/pho...0-0004AC4C1EA1

My thanks to MentorRon for the both eyes open tip.

The link above were photos taken Sunday near Monterey using the 1/2 button prefocus and the both eyes open technique.

I am still having trouble keeping both eyes on subject, particularly when the sun is causing me to squint, but I am improving.
Old Nov 25, 2002, 12:45 PM   #9

Default "Grain" in sky behind kites ?

Glad my idea was of some help in your kite photosessions. I had a look at those snaps and notice that in full size there seems to be noticeable "grain" in the blue skies. Is this just an artifact on that Web site? I assume it doesn't show up looking at your "original" images at home. I post some of my images on the www.pbase.com Web site and I don't notice that effect on my pictures there:
http://www.pbase.com/mentorron/my_finepix_2800_
Old Nov 26, 2002, 2:26 AM   #10

MentorRon, Your keen eye is picking up the results of me pushing the Level Adjust in PhotoShop a little further than I probably should. My older Nikon 900s had a huge compression which needed lots of expansion of Levels. The newer 3800 has much less of this compression, but my old habits die hard as I attempt to expand the dark/light levels.
At print size or in low res mode, these do not show up, but with the one to one pixel shown at hi res, the effects show up as grain.
Thanks for keeping me on my toes. Any suggestion you have will be listened to intently. I usually push programs like PhotoShop a little further than I should when it comes to Level Adjust and Unsharp Mask.