Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Feb 6, 2005, 8:31 PM   #1

Ok I am a newbie...I put in new batteries in my Fuji S602Z [because I thought it seemed dead becoz of batteries]...but what happens is:

1. Camera OFF. I take off lens cover.

2. Move Dial to Record position. Lens extends all the way, Green Power light ON..but as soon as the lens has extended...green light goes out!!!

So I can do nothing!!! Cannot click...

Turning back the dial to OFF and then back to Record again causes some sounds...the lens kinda retracts...green light comes on but almost immediately goes out...So it is a pain to shut it OFF..if I shut it OFF the lens does NOT retract..so what I have to do is:
--Turn dial to Record
-- Lens retracts...
-- Quickly move dial to OFF..then it retracts and stays retracted...so I can put the lens cover on..phew!

What may be going on? I mean, I can try with another set of batteries...but...these were new..non-rechargeable ones...

TIA
umkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 6, 2005, 10:19 PM   #2

Not all AAbatts are the same power, it's gottasay Alkaline on them, or NiMh rechargable (even better)
MikDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2005, 3:19 AM   #3
Baz

Alkalines in that, & some other cameras are hopeless.

You will need several sets (of 4) NiMH rechargeable batteries to power the 602. The higher mAh the better, like 2300 mAh.

Get some of those, and a good NiMH charger.
Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2005, 10:44 AM   #4

Has the camera previously worked, and you are just now experiencing problems, or isthis camera new to you?
Basement Shows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2005, 7:02 AM   #5

Thanks guys. I will try with higher power batteries...

It did work before...I've taken pix at least on one occassion before(with the usual Energizer kind of batteries...), ...that is why I am surprised...
Old Feb 8, 2005, 8:44 AM   #6

I have had a similar problem with my S7000. The problem was that my rechargeable batteries were almost dead or I hadn't charged them enough to start with. When I put in full recharged batteries, especially my newly bought Sony rechargeables, I don't have this problem.

A friend has a Kodak DX 6440. It came with a proprietary rechargeable. He tried some cheap non-rechargeable AA's, and could barely get even a flashing light. When I put in some higher quality non-rechargeables, the camera worked fine. Anyway, I agree with the other guys. Get some rechargeables. You can probably pick up a decent recharger and 4 AA rechargeable batteries for 20 bucks or less. It's a good investment. If you can, consider some of the batteries and chargersthat Steve has reviewed in his accessories column.

Good luck!
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2005, 5:49 PM   #7
Baz

umkumar, Here is another thought. There is a known fault in some 602's.

It concerns a fault that may develop in the battery door, that can short & discharge one battery (the bottom right one).

I have explained this in an earlier post, and J Kirk of Australia has information there on how to fix it.

See the post, titled "Fuji602" in the Fujifilm forum, dated 2 Jul 04.

Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2005, 2:43 PM   #8

Guys, I have some good news to share: NiMH 2200mAH batteries did the trick...at least, the power light comes on..and I can take pictures...the camera behaves like normal...:?

phew.

Dear Baz, before posting here I had actually checked J Kirk's site after searching the postings and having found about his write-up...but decided maybe that would be a next-step-to-investigate...

but well, at least now I know...no Energizer etc non-alkaline batteries...

the funny part as I had mentioned: the camera worked with the batteries in them (I bought it from someone)--but now I realize there were Duracell alkalines...whereas I replaced them with non-alkalines...my bad, as they say...:lol:

Once again..many thanks!