Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Nov 23, 2002, 12:08 AM   #1

Default FinePix 3800 or FinePix S304

After more than a month trying to make the right dicission on which camera to buy I decided on the FinePix 3800. from visiting http://home.fujifilm.com it now it seems a new S304 camera will replace the 3800. But I don't find the camera for sale on any shopping site. Anyone have any Idea when the camera will be released? Is the camera an upgrade on the 3800?
luckyart60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 23, 2002, 1:29 PM   #2

From what I understand, the FinePix 3800 is also referred to as S304. That explains why you don't find the 'S304' in the stores.
lotus999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2002, 3:02 PM   #3

The two cameras mentioned are exactly the same camera. The Finepix 3800 model number is for distribution in the U.S. and the other for distribution in Europe, I believe. I don't know why manufacturers do that different model number thing, but they often do.

I ordered a Finepix 3800 yesterday. I am excited. I hope I like it as much as my research lead me to think I will.
mberberich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2002, 11:18 AM   #4

The 3800 is a great choice UNLESS:
you take lots of low light pictures
or
take lots of action shots.

reasons:
no focus assist lamp, and the autofocus is quite undependable in low light (less that 300 watts in a room, or no strong lighing outdoors).
there is a "freezing" of the electronic viewfinder as it focuses, and you can't pre-focus if your subject doesn't remain at the same distance from the camera as it moves. Aircraft, kites, athletes, race cars, kids playing, etc.
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2003, 11:41 AM   #5

Is the 3800 not just the US version of the UK S304?
Shortboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2003, 1:25 PM   #6

They are identical cameras except for the label on the case. The S304 sells only outside of North America. Not sure why Fuji feels the need to do this.
They also did a number change on the 2300 for certain retailers in Britain, calling it the 2200. I guess that way they could set their own pricing/discount structure and not have to price-match other retailers.
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote