Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Nov 23, 2002, 10:02 AM   #1

Default Pro version of S602 Zoom

I see dpreview.com has an article about a new pro version of the S602. But it sounds like it is only available in Europe. Has anyone heard anything about it coming to the US?
deanusmanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 25, 2002, 12:51 PM   #2

Isn't the Pro version the S2 ?
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2002, 6:07 AM   #3

Don't worry, it will be available around the world, even if the information was first posted on Fuji's European website.

The S2 has a pro version, but Fuji has introduced a pro s602 model as well

ajeet
ajitkataria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2002, 6:16 AM   #4

Don't hold your breath! same ccd spec as 602z. They've included a Nimh pack (which we all buy afterwards), a cable release and pc sync, and a micro-drive which we're all buying from oem vendors if we need one!

Don't know if the dust still gets into the optics. So take off all the addons and see if the 'pro' justifies the label and price!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2002, 12:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
Don't hold your breath! same ccd spec as 602z. They've included a Nimh pack (which we all buy afterwards), a cable release and pc sync, and a micro-drive which we're all buying from oem vendors if we need one!

Don't know if the dust still gets into the optics. So take off all the addons and see if the 'pro' justifies the label and price!
While I agree with the battery pack, PC Sync and Microdrive, where are you getting a cable release for the standard S602?

Now having any type of external shutter release (to my knowledge, atleast) is one of the things that is holding me back from the purchase of a S602. If someone, Fuji or 3rd party makes one, please let me know where
LordAthens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2002, 5:15 AM   #6

So you don't know about the self timer facility then? I use it all the time on tripod shots.
Old Jan 10, 2003, 7:36 PM   #7

Default Upgraded Version Available in North America.

deanusmanus,

I have read various articles which said that Fujifilm US has no plans on releasing the "Pro" version of the s602z, however, Fujifilm Canada released what calls their Special Edition or SE version right before Christmas. Our northern neighbors have nicknamed the SE version "black."

This version has the same black body, PC sync, and threaded shutter release button for remote triggering. The SE version does not come with the 384mb microdrive and rechargable batteries. I've seen the SE version at Henrys.com 734.14 USD. I'm not sure if there are any other duties and taxes added on. Note, if something goes wrong with the camera, those of us in the US would have to send our unit back to canada for warrantied servicing.

Sure the all black bodied 602 is nice. The PC sync socket feature and threaded shutter release button should've been incorporated in the original design, being a prosumer camera, but there are workarounds available like voxmagma mentioned. See my next thread.
Alakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2003, 8:05 PM   #8

Default Shutter release cable workaround for non SE and Pro users

Here are some workarounds for the remote shutter release issue and PC sync functionality.

They are DIY projects so YMMV:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=4032421
http://www.angelfire.com/ga2/photo/bracket.html

A retail solution, I don't know how good a solution this would be for the s602, it might block some buttons:

http://porterscamerastore.com/Mercha...egory_Code=C1A

PC Sync Hotshoe adapters-this would be useful when using large flashes such as Sunpak 383's or Vivtar 283 and 285's. Many recommend using a flash bracket to protect the hotshoe mount from the excessive weight of flash. There are many brands available. The Adorama is the only one I can think of at the top of my head.

http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?o...19&sku=FAHSPCA
Old Jan 11, 2003, 5:58 AM   #9

I'm a novice when it comes to terminology, but I assume by PC out you mean a sync trigger from the shoe for slave units (as opposed to using the light burst). That's not too difficult.

I think the useful feature missing from the 602 is the auto link, to control external flash brightness - a la dedicated systems for slr's.

On the remote release issue, I think one which is smooth enough to allow a half shutter press would be the best. If I ever have a prob. with my 602, I might be brave enough to open it up and extend the release button (prob. 3 wires) to an external connector! There are other cams with wireless interfaces now.
Old Jan 11, 2003, 7:50 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
I'm a novice when it comes to terminology, but I assume by PC out you mean a sync trigger from the shoe for slave units (as opposed to using the light burst). That's not too difficult.
Yes, that's what I was referring to.

Quote:
I think the useful feature missing from the 602 is the auto link, to control external flash brightness - a la dedicated systems for slr's.
Wow, that would be something. Are there any prosumer SLR or Digitals that offer this now?

Quote:
On the remote release issue, I think one which is smooth enough to allow a half shutter press would be the best. If I ever have a prob. with my 602, I might be brave enough to open it up and extend the release button (prob. 3 wires) to an external connector! There are other cams with wireless interfaces now.
Can you say completely void warranty?!? I don't think I'd be that brave.

It would be nice if the s602 had a wireless remote trigger. A TTL flash hotshoe would've been nice too, instead of 1960's hotshoe technology. I suppose since the 602 is marketed toward the prosumer level, they left a lot "pro" features out. Who know's what will be integrated in the next mark or replacement? I guess we'll have to wait till the last quarter of 2003, perhaps early quarter of 2004.