Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jun 22, 2002, 5:34 AM   #1

Default Memory card not initialised!

Help, i have a fuji 6900 and i keep getting the "Memory card not initialised" warning when i put in my 128 mb SM card. The card reads fine on my card reader but not on my camera. My camera will read my other card i have but not my 128 one. I have tried cleaning the contacts on the card to no avail, but i cant re format it because the camera dosnt recognise its there. Can i reformat it via my PC? Any other ideas? Thanks
ddixonuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 23, 2002, 5:06 PM   #2

Default Memory initialised ?

Have you tried to format it in the card reader with a full format do not use a quick format this seems to make a difference to me when i am formatting my cards. Oh and if that does not work your local camera dealer might exchange it as faulty..
genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2002, 6:48 PM   #3
NHL

ddixonuk

You can not format through the PC unless it's fat-16. All Window OS 95-2nd edition or above will default to fat-32 making it unuseable in ANY camera and not just the Fuji !!! Try to format it again using the camera otherwise an FDISK or another partition tool may be required...

[Edited on 6-23-2002 by NHL]
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2002, 9:45 PM   #4

ok well I have formateed a card through a reader and it no longer works. Can't format it in camera anymore. Is there a way I can repair it?
deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2002, 6:06 AM   #5
NHL

Try FDISK or any other tool to remove the partition, and start the flash card from the virgin state... and reformat the card in fat-16 from the camera!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2002, 7:10 PM   #6

You need a special format utility to format on the PC. The one I use allows SM cards which have been formatted for MP3 players to be low-level formated so they can be used again in digital cams.
Its works a treat and has already recovered a couple of SM cards for me.
I've put it on my site anyone one wishes to download it. (200k)

www.bjm.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/utils/smprep.exe

In the past I've had a couple of SM cards which were not being seen by my old Fuji1700 cam. Despite cleaning SM contacts I found the cure was to cut a piece of stifish card same thickness and size as the SM card, then apply a tiny dab of isopropol to the card and insert it in the camara a few times to clean the internal contact fingers.
sollyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2002, 4:28 AM   #7
Dan

I too got this message today after using a smart media card for 3 months with my Fuji FinePix 2800, format the card with the camera option and all is fine.

The format option is on the review pictures menu near the erase pictures options.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2002, 8:47 AM   #8

Default STOP AND READ ON FORMAT ISSUES IN WINDOWS- AGAIN

everybody
if you would just get to know or OS better there are choices that can be made.
above a certain value the format utility on the win OS Me/XP will default to fat32. that does not mean you cannot change it. on Me or XP if you see an arrow on the right pointing down where the file system is you can just choose the file system. click on FAT and the problem is solved.

on 98/98se/2k when you installed the drivers for the cf reader a formating utility should have been installed. right click on the new drive in my computer and go to format.left click and the utility should come up. this utility will guarentee fat16 is installed as the file sys on the card.

on the issue of not being able to read the card by a reader or camera- not initalized or other. DO NOT FORMAT IT AGAIN if you want to recover the existing images on the card. get a recovery util ref:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/digsoftware_utils.html

i personally use photorescue. well worth the money. ref:

http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/

there is a better than 80% chance you'll get the images off the card with the util.
then do as you wish with it.
again this is only if you have images to recover on the card.

[Edited on 9-6-2002 by sjms]

[Edited on 9-6-2002 by sjms]
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote