Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Nov 25, 2002, 3:21 PM   #1
4cs

Default how many pics can a 128 xd card hold?

Are there any good sites out there that show me how many pics (at various res) I can store on a xD card?
4cs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 25, 2002, 9:27 PM   #2

102 3.2meg fine.
215 3.2meg normal
Jimsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2002, 2:56 AM   #3

~320 at 1600x1200 normal res
(this is 2.0Mpix and there's a fine resolution mode, which I only use in macro mode)
jacalvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2002, 5:07 AM   #4

The figures you find will all be cam model specific. The terms 'fine' ,'superfine' etc are chosen by the cam maker for a given compression and resolution in each mode.

So don't assume two different cams in 'fine' mode will produce identical quality and file size. One may choose less compression larger files, the other more compression smaller files. Look at the EXIF data in pics to see the compression ratio and resolution for different cams.

You can download the user manuals from most manufacturers web sites before you buy. They usually include a table showing approximate file sizes corresponding to each mode. Personally, I'd look for the lower compression higher file size options as large memory cards are now cheaper - if cam processing speed is up to it.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2002, 2:20 PM   #5

Voxmagna is correct: as an example, my FinePix 1300 uses a 4:1 ratio at 1MP/Fine, and my FinePix 2800 uses a 6:1 ratio at 1MP/Fine. At 1MP/Normal, they are 8:1 and 11:1 respectively. What is strange is that the 2800 has fewer digital artifacts than the 1300, even though it uses more compression (I took some pictures with both cameras side-by-side to compare results).
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2002, 3:46 AM   #6

MentorRon.. there's another factor in the equation I didn't mention - that's the CCD sensor resolution. Your 1300 is 1.3Mpix whilst the 2800 is 2Mpix. Therefore, although you are selecting 1Mpix as the output, I'll bet all the ccd array is still being used as input data before compression, and you have more film speed choices. My 602 does 1Mpix at high film speeds, and the results are always much better than my 1Mpix cam with less compression.

So more image data captured, means higher JPEG compression possible for similar or lower artefacts. So isn't it a pity we can't set the compression factor we want, to compare like for like at the same output res.?
Old Nov 28, 2002, 2:28 AM   #7

I'm sure most of the things we complain about and wish were different are that way mainly due to cost efficiency in manufacturing. i.e. we'd be paying a lot more to have the features on our wish list. That would put lots of us out of the picture who are now able to enjoy digital photography.
My first 35mm camera didn't have a focus assist, internal metering, a self timer, a power winder, or a controlled shutter speed slower than 1/25 sec (just "bulb")...but I enjoyed 35mm photography. I feel the same way about digital photography...it is at a point where I can get most of what I need at a price I can finally afford. I'm sure in the next few years we'll all get many of those wish list items on affordable cameras...it's just trying to be patient ;-)
Even with the limited features of my FinePix 2800, there aren't many pictures I miss. A few things are challenging (like focussing and viewing in low light) but that's part of the fun: finding ways to get those pictures. Once all you have to do is click the shutter, half the fun goes with it. I enjoy the challenges and am amazed at the quality of the pictures I do get. It's something I couldn't do with 35mm: take as many pictures as I like with no cost unless I print. So I take more pictures than I ever did and get more enjoyment from my hobby. My 2 point and shoot FinePixes cost as much as my 2 Canon SLRs (A-1 manual and EOS 1000 autofocus), but the Canons now sit on a shelf 350 days of the year.
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2002, 5:20 AM   #8

I agree.. and remember the 'gadget bag' full of stuff you took everywhere? The only bulky accessory I've found useful with a digicam is a compact tripod. Although, I really prefer the candid, natural light shots of people I never really got before.