Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Feb 28, 2005, 7:04 PM   #1

Hi all. I work on a website selling Native American art (jewelry, pottery, etc) and have recently picked up a Finepix S5100 to replace the Olympus Camedia C4000 that I was using (busted the lens unit). With the C4000 I was able to keep the lens a good 1.5 feet from the subject and use the optical and digital zoom to get in really tight on the piece. I did not have to use the macro mode at all. I am having a lot of trouble getting anything to focus correctly with the S5100, though. I am having to put the camera on macro mode and get within 5-6 inches of the jewelry to get it to focus, and even then it is extremely inconsistent. If I try to back up and use the zoom to get in close, the camera will not focus the image.It doesn't seem to matter how much light I put on the subject. Do any of you have experience with this camera? I could really use some input on getting this thing to work. Thanks!
mukkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 1, 2005, 4:20 AM   #2
Baz

Hi mukkey, I've had great macro results using the Fuji 602 camera.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Thinking your camera could be similar, I checked the macro specs of the S5100.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"They are:

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"With macro set, & lens set at wide angle, focus range is 0.3ft to 6.6ft

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"But when lens is set at tele, focus range is 3.0ft to 6.6ft.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"And so I can see your problem, if you are trying to use the zoom range, as at tele the camera will not focus closer than 3ft.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"It would be best to set the lens towards wide angle, and vary the distance between

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"the camera & subject. I use a tripod for this. A good idea is to use manual focus (the 602 has magnify option in the lcd), and also choose the smallest aperture for greatest depth of field. If this requires a slower shutter speed, it does not matter when camera is on the tripod. A good trick is to use the camera's delayed action to take the shot, hence avoiding any camera shake from a finger push.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I imagine your camera will have most of these options, and I hope you can get good macro shots. Cheers.
Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 4:24 AM   #3
Baz

oops..sorry for all the style=BACKGROUND things. Not sure what I did. Maybe it was because I used the return key. Hope it still made sense. Cheers.
Old Mar 1, 2005, 11:37 AM   #4

Thanks for the help! Looks like I picked the wrong camera for the work I am doing. I am thinking about picking these up: http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=DKCUSET52

Think they would help?
Old Mar 1, 2005, 6:45 PM   #5
Baz

mukkey, as your camera will macro focus as close as 0.3ft= 3.6", I wonder why you are considering close up lenses. I doubt you have 'picked the wrong camera', as I imagine the S5100 will cope, after checking it's specs on Steve's review.

Are there any Fuji S5100 users who could offer an opinion on using macro with this camera?
Old Mar 1, 2005, 9:26 PM   #6

Ihave the S5100 and it shoud focus at about 10cm away from your subject using macro mode at the widest angle. I recently bought some close-up filters and the results were amazing!

Attached Images

TheDude86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 9:27 PM   #7

another one...
Attached Images

Old Mar 1, 2005, 9:27 PM   #8

these bugs were about 3/4 of an inch
Attached Images

Old Mar 1, 2005, 10:07 PM   #9

Which filters did you buy? How much were they? Thanks!
Old Mar 2, 2005, 6:19 PM   #10

well... it really depend on your budget and on what you plan to shoot. Tell me your price range and your possible subjects and i will recommend you the lenses:?