Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Mar 7, 2005, 6:45 PM   #1

Hi, I am new around here, but am concidering either the S7000 or the Lumix FZ20. I like both however I am able to get the S7000 for a wholesale through an account my employer has which is a big plus as my wife has crimped my budget, if ya know what I mean.

Currently I have a good but aging Pentax MX full manual SLR with 28,50 and 200 prime lenses, and we have a Fuji A201 for basic digital pics of the kids, but I want something to replace the Pentax.

Any how, had a play with the S7000 today at a retailer, liked what I saw. However have a question about the realtime histogram. I noted that even when I had the camera in manual that the histogram did not move up and down as I adjusted stops, I thought this would be the case. Sure in P,A,S modes one would assume the histogram would track. Can anyone explain this to me, I am new to camera's with this feature.

Also do many of you use the CCD-RAW format on the S7000, have fuji provided better RAW software than when Steve first reviewed the camera (ie 16 bit TIFF rather then 8), or what RAW tools do you use.

Many thanks

Cyril
cyril1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2005, 9:08 PM   #2

If it were me, I'd get the Pentax SLR so you can use your existing lenses.
Basement Shows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 9:39 PM   #3

I agree 100% as they are good lenses, but.... you are not by wife.... and I guess I am a wimp. The *iDs will set me back nearly twice my budget.

Cyril
Old Mar 8, 2005, 2:25 AM   #4

I have the S7000 ... the histogram is not live per say ... as you note it displays the histogram at the initial setting and does not adjust as you change a setting ... so it is a "quasi live histogram" .. you might drop by dpreview.com The Fuji Talk Forum, where this topic has been bashed into the ground.

I shoot raw and there are a few free raw converters for the S7000 available ... pretty nice software is my opinion. I use S7raw.

Good luck, and . . .

Happy Shooting ! :|

MikeC
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 11:22 AM   #5

I use the new raw plug in for Photoshop cs and it works pretty well. i dont see much of a differnce in the 12 fine and the raw mode though. Although i just shoot in 6mp mode all the time and am able to make great looking 20x30 images with just that. it seems looking at images side by side on my computer that 6mp is sharper than the 12mp mode. of course that could be a limitation of my monitor.I know my Dad shoots in 12 abd raw and his prints look very very nice. just my 2 cents worth
DocX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 1:13 PM   #6

Thanks for the input and confirming what I saw.

Cyril