Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Mar 12, 2005, 5:12 PM   #1

I have a FujiFilm S5100 on order. It will be my first digital camera. I have a 35mm SLR (Minolta) that I currently use, so I'm familiar with shutter speeds, aperture, etc...

I was wondering if the FujiFilm S5100 takes a standard skylight or UV filter for lens protection? Do you have to attach it to the adapter? Or can we only use the included tethered lens cap?

Also, what size case will I need for this camera? I read reviews of the Minolta "holster" and they didn't rate the holster very highly.

Thanks in advance
metroplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 12, 2005, 5:42 PM   #2
rds

:idea: Just got my 5100 a few weeks ago, so I don't know an answer to the filter question. About the case, though: I bought a Lowepro TLZ Mini, which fits the camera with lens adapter on. It's got aninterior pocket in the top for extra cards, an exterior pocket on the front for extra batteries, cleaning cloth, etc, and a belt loop, carrying handle, and neck strap. Check it out:

http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Topl...Zoom_Mini.aspx

Good luck, and have fun with the camera; I love mine!!
rds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2005, 6:08 PM   #3

If a filter were to be used, it would attach to the hood of the adapter? If so, would the lens from the camera bump against the filter (imagine a plate of glass covering the hood)?

Thanks for the info on the case. I'll check it out.
Old Mar 12, 2005, 8:02 PM   #4
rds

You do have to screw the filter to the adapter; when the camera turns on the lens protrudes out past the threads for the adapter. But the lens will not hit the filter when used with the adapter. Hope this helps.
rds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2005, 8:43 PM   #5

So when the camera turns on, it would essentially hit the filter if a filter were used?

(UPDATE: Sorry, I misunderstood you rds. thanks!)
Old Mar 12, 2005, 11:16 PM   #6

The lens would not hit the filter. If you do buy a 55mm uv filter may i suggest you buy a good filter that is multi coated to avoid lens flare like this filter http://www.digitalfotoclub.com/sc/pr...p?id=229345004

also you need to buy a new lens cap because the fuji lens cap would not fit on a 55mm thread of a filter. buy a 55mm lens cap.

For the camera bag i bought a LowePro EX 120 in WOLF CAMERA for $19.99. The camera with the lens adapter on, fits with a lot of room to spare. I keep my lens cleaning kit in it an my close-up filter set. If you want more room buy the LowePro EX 160. They are high quality bags and great value!
TheDude86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2005, 6:20 AM   #7

I was already planning on a Hoya HMC 55mm Skylight 1B. I usually slap a 1A or 1B on my SLR lenses. I've never had a flare or ghost problem with non-multicoated lenses before. I have a Hoya Skylight 1B 55mm filter on my Sigma lens (double-coated, one on each side, $12 deal) and I do notice a slight decrease in light transmission.

So far it looks like I'll need:
55mm multi-coated filter (Hoya 55mm HMC 1B)
bag (Lowepro TLZ Mini)
55mm lens cap
cap keeper 2
Old Mar 16, 2005, 8:04 PM   #8

I assume from the discussion that a 55mm screw-in lens cap is the only one that will fit the S5100? I bought a filter, only to discover later that the Fuji lens cap will not fit over it.

I bought a Tamrac Superlight 33 bag(Model 5433)for my 5100, and am very pleased with it. I paid $19.99 at Circuit City.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/Searc...go.x=16&go.y=9

The bag has a front pocket and two side pockets, which provide ample room for batteries, cables, and even a compact battery charger. The bag is very well made, with weather resistant fabrics and lots of padding. The feature that really sold me was the oversized top flap, which acts like an umbrella, keeping rain and spray off the zipper. In addition to the zipper, it has a snap and velcro to ensure the top doesn't pop open unexpectedly.

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote