Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jun 14, 2006, 8:37 AM   #21

Today, June 14th 2006, I found and read this thread.

If I had found it a year ago, I never would have bought a FinePix S5100/S5500 due to:

(1) Fuji is proud of its SuperCCD... but S5100/S5500 uses a conventional CCD.

(2) Fuji won't release a firmware upgrade for this camera but Fuji has released firmware upgrades for other "minor" ones as A340 and A330.

(3) Fuji took this camera out of its catalogs too quickly.

My sister bought a FinePix A340 some month later and compared the pics of same scene catched by A340 and S5100... The color range in A340 is better than in S5100.
jdbenavent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2006, 6:17 PM   #22

I have an S5100, works perfectly, why would I be looking for a firmware update? I have an S9000, haven't bothered to get the 1.02 firmware upgrade because all it did was provide compatibility for a card that I'm not planning on purchasing. What is it that you are looking for in a firmware update? It isn't going to make your camera take any better of a picture that is already does. What is it that you are so worried about? A firmware update is not going to change your camera from using a standard CCD to a super CCD.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2006, 7:35 PM   #23

Check his first post back in September, JP...I don't get it, either...

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2006, 6:55 AM   #24

Hi, Jphess...

When I bought my S5100, I thought its sensor was SuperCCD as S5000's was... all reviews said that "S5100 is a replacement for S5000". Therefore, I suposed S5100 contained a SuperCCD... :roll:

I know a firmware upgrade won't change the CCD for a SuperCCD -- I am an Electronic Engineer... but I think some (technical) users, MIGHT improve the colour processing and the dynamic range or create other new features.

In 80's, Sir Sinclair launched the "ZX Spectrum" personal computer... It was not perfect but some users and magazines decided to improve them and started to create new tools (software) and gadgets () and/or modify existing ones... In those years, there wasn't Internet... Imagine if there would be.

I don't feel the same with my S5100... I didn't find the Service Manual but I found the S5000's. The parts of S5000 are detailed in this manual (sensor, chips) but I didn't find much information about them :sad: nor tools. For example, the main processor is RISC 64-bit from Toshiba (TX49) but I found no assembler. Another example: the SuperCCD is labeled as MS3890 but there is no information about it on Internet.

If your S5100 makes you happy... congratulations !

but I think the manufacturer (Fuji) is not able to get all benefit from the hardware he sold you and he is not interested... he rather wants to make you buy next camera...

I think S5100 was a transition device and I hadn't have bought it.

Why did you buy a S9000 when S5100 works perfectly ?
In my case, I cannot buy another camera.

jdbenavent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2006, 6:40 PM   #25

First of all, I seriously doubt that you would be able to detect the difference in comparably exposed images from the 5000, or the 5100, or the 5200. The difference that a super CCD makes in the overall camera design is negligible at best.

As a 4 MP camera, my 5100 works perfectly. I took it on a trip to Alaska last summer and was very pleased with its performance. We took a flight over Mt. McKinley, and the images that we shot with the camera were really impressive. So, you ask, why did I go for the 9000? Several of my kids like to borrow a camera from time to time, so that was one motivating factor for getting another one. I also wanted the capability to use an external flash, which the 5100 will not accommodate. Yes, I knew that when I bought the camera. And then I wanted the bigger images.

I really like the 9000. But my wife and two of my daughters went to Phoenix last month to visit my other daughter. They took the 5100 and came home with some really impressive photographs. The lesson I have learned from that is that I'm not going to allow myself to get all excited about every new camera that comes out with some unique feature. Both of my cameras take very nice photographs that I don't feel that I would have to apologize for to anyone. But, on the other hand, a friend of mine surprised me by asking me to photograph his daughter's wedding in August. And I'm glad I have the 9000 and the external flash and the larger images so that I can make a better album from some of the images.

Here is one of the images from my Alaska trip. It was taken through the window of the aircraft, and a polarizer filter was used. It probably is not one of the most spectacular photos that was taken, but I quite liked the clarity and the detail. It has not been converted to Black and White.
Attached Images

jphess is offline   Reply With Quote