Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Dec 8, 2002, 12:07 AM   #1

Default report on new Fujifilm 3800

I got my 3800 on the 3rd of December. Several people here had asked me to comment on the camera when I got it, so here goes.

The 3800 replaced a Nikon 800. The Nikon image quality was outstanding, so that was not the issue. Weak flash and little zoom were the issues.

Now I have only had the 3800 for four days but I have taken about 200 shots so far under a variety of conditions. So far I am thrilled with my new camera. I think, after viewing many and printing several pictures, that the image quality is about the same as the Nikon, and I mean that as a compliment to the 3800. The flash is strong for this level of camera, very nice. The zoom (Equilavent to a 38 - 228 on a 35mm) is just great. The detail I get at full zoom is wonderful. The camera feels good in the hand, nice design.

I am very pleased with the buy. I feel comfortable recommending the Fujifilm 3800 to those of you considering buying a new digital camera.

On the downside, as others have noted, the viewer through either the LCD or the TTL viewer is virtually useless in low light, and focus in that condition is a problem. Thing is, it's the same problem in other digitals I have tried as well.
mberberich is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 8, 2002, 12:22 PM   #2

I agree ... would be handy to keep this in the same thrread, there are about 20 Fuji 3800 threads on this board.
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2002, 3:20 AM   #3

Default Low Light Focus

Although I haven't tried one, I've read that cameras with focus-assist lamps lock onto a subject better within reasonable distances (a few meters).
Most of the Canons seem to have focus-assist: none of the Fujis I've seen.
I agree that the 2800/3800 have good flash range: up to about 14 feet, compared to about 9 for some others I've tried.
One other problem besides the low light focusing and viewing is the fixed ISO 100. It creates problems even outdoors in daytime if you are in a heavily shaded area (in the woods, under a trellis, etc.). The shutter speeds drop quickly so that sharp hand-held shots are just about impossible. I bought a small camera so that I wouldn't be burdened down with equipment, so I hate to think I'll have to start carrying a full size tripod. I do keep a small combo C-clamp/mini tripod in my hip bag with my extra cards and batteries, but I can't always find something to attach it to or place it on that gives the perspective I want.
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2002, 10:34 AM   #4

Default Re: Low Light Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentorRon
One other problem besides the low light focusing and viewing is the fixed ISO 100. It creates problems even outdoors in daytime if you are in a heavily shaded area (in the woods, under a trellis, etc.). The shutter speeds drop quickly so that sharp hand-held shots are just about impossible. I bought a small camera so that I wouldn't be burdened down with equipment, so I hate to think I'll have to start carrying a full size tripod. I do keep a small combo C-clamp/mini tripod in my hip bag with my extra cards and batteries, but I can't always find something to attach it to or place it on that gives the perspective I want.
I find my filter set solves that problem, so does the right exposure.
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote