Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

View Poll Results: Which would you buy, Fuji s602 or the Olympus C-730?
s602 2 100.00%
c-730 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 9, 2002, 11:42 AM   #1

Default Fuji s602 v. Oly c-730

Someone asked about the 3800 v. the c-730, but it seems to me the question is between the C-730 and S602, which is what I'm trying to figure out. Both have many auto and manual features. Both are in the $500-$600 price range. The S602 seems to have a bit more features, but the Oly has the 10X lens and Olympus has such a good reputation.

In my case, I'm looking for a point a shoot with a good lens, but I want to be able to grow into the camera and eventually use the manual features. I also want a camera that my son can use to learn about photography.

What are your thoughts on the s602 v. the c-730?

(note, this message cross posted to the Oly forum)
allanmarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 10, 2002, 12:20 PM   #2

i drove myself absolutely bonkers trying to decide between these two cameras. I today placed my order for the fuji. Fingers crossed

sue t.
sue turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2002, 8:14 PM   #3

It's funny you ask this. I have been pouring over reviews for the past several days trying to decide between these two cameras. I originally looked at the Canon G2 but wanted more than a 3x zoom. I still can't decide which one to choose. If you have any ideas I'd be glad to hear them. I'm sure it will take me a few more days to decide. The image quality and zoom are my two main concerns.
quinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2003, 9:48 AM   #4

I've just posted the same Q before i saw this.
Which did you decide and why??
NickyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2003, 9:49 AM   #5

Old Jan 18, 2003, 9:51 AM   #6

Old Jan 18, 2003, 10:45 AM   #7

After I tried the Olympus and the Fuji at a local store, I went with the Fuji. But before I bought, I was also considering the Minolta 7i. Unfortunately, money was a factor in my purchase, so I bought the Fuji S602 at Circuit City because I got 1 year no payments and no interest. This allowed me to buy extra memory and an HP 7550 photo printer and have a year to pay them off. I haven't had time to get into all the features of this camera but I took some great pictures at the beach this week. It's well built and easy to use but also has some advanced features to learn. For the money, this is a great camera.
quinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2003, 4:05 AM   #8

I chose the Fuji based upon its superb shot sequencing. I shoot school ball games. Holding the 'trigger' and letting go with the last 5 shots captured is a real plus for me.

Mike
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2003, 7:59 AM   #9

Just like many of you, I've agonized over this decision for the past month and, still, have not bought one yet.

I actually held both cameras in local shops and found that the Finepix felt more solid and fits my hand better.

I also read a lot of reviews and users saying that the C730's AF is practically useless in dark scenes; only a few I read wished S602's is better. S602's also praised for its low shutter lag. If only the S602's a 4Mpixel with a 10x zoom...

I then decided to get the S602.

But before I could place my order, the C740 and C750 are introduced in PMA. There's only one First Look review so far so I'm gonna wait for a real evaluation then decide.

...unless an S603 comes around...
balarila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2003, 1:43 AM   #10

Oh man :shock: . I went through the same series of reviews. I wasn't sure for almost a month wich of those two cams to choose. After many long nights reading the reviews and studying the pictures I finally ordered Fuji. I have it for almost 2 weeks now and am absolutely happy with it! I'm not a pro 8) but I like a bunch of manual tools in this baby. What I like also is its' body. Though it weighs almost 18 ounces it easily fits in your hands. All buttons are in their place. Camera produces excellent shots in both full auto and manual modes. A couple of thigs you have to think after buying it are: 1. NiMH battaries, I have 1850mAh and they're fine; 2. memory card for at least 128Mb (if you want to shoot movies you better should look at Microdrive); 3. Tripod for night shooting when shutter speed has to be slow. btw, Fuji is great at night-shooting! Yes, it lacks AF ssist light but you can always try to focus manually! So I'd recomend this cam to everyone looking in this price range! Oly 740 and 750 will definetly be good but i'm not that kind of guy who can sit and wait for something :lol:

Regards,
Kirk.
ulik is offline   Reply With Quote