Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Dec 9, 2002, 4:12 PM   #1

Default FinePix viewer and the internet..help!

I need some help from someone more useful than Fuji techs!
I just purchased a FinePix 3800 and installed the FinePix viewer software on my system running Winxp. After installing, I tried to connect with my ISP. The computer dialed out, connected, and then I received the message for a failed connection. After a few tries, I changed over to my America Online browser to try that. The system dialed out, talked with the network, and did nothing else. :?:

Has anyone else had anything like this happen? The tech at Fuji said it must by my ISP. I told him that I tried two different ISPs with two different browsers, but he said that it is either the ISP or bad software on the CD. Does that seem unlikely to anyone else? :x

I really need some help. I rolled back my system to "pre-Fuji" days, and the internet connection worked fine.

Thanks in advance for any assistance that can be offerred.
athimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 9, 2002, 5:12 PM   #2

One of the things I hated about the Finepix Viewer was all the junk to connect to their additional web services. You never know what's going out or coming in your pc. Why use an expensive cam as a webcam? I never worked out whether they were charging for their Internet service, I was just nervous about all the background connectivity I would have been setting up had I installed and registered.

So when I first installed it I got rid of everything except the viewer (checked the registry as well!), and don't even go to their web based help. I also disabled the auto start up 'cos I figured it was always lonely and wanted to get out of my pc! My firewall was continually blocking traffic, it doesn't do it anymore!

Since I bought a card reader, I don't use the FinePix stuff and am about to delete it.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2002, 5:19 PM   #3

voxmagna,

Do you use a dial-up ISP? I'm curious if you installed everything and tried to connect to your ISP.
Old Dec 9, 2002, 5:43 PM   #4

Sorry, on ADSL permanently on, so that's why I'm nervous at how fast stuff leaves my pc! If you're on diallup, I'd guess some of the FinePix options could glue it up for ages. I was only seeing the software traffic going to their servers IP addresses. If you were on diallup and it was trying to do this immediately after boot up, before a diallup connection was established, I can see all sorts of error conflicts. I also vaguely recall wasting time registering, but thought there might be a spam trail at the end, so didn't complete. When you first install it might be registering you!

Does it start up immediately or put an icon on the taskbar? can't remember if there's an option to stop this, so disable it or see if their .exe files are in your Windows startup (translate for your OS).

On rare occasions I run it (to help others) I start it from a shortcut on the desktop. I've checked with Norton sys info and there's nothing taking memory or running in the background now.

Try a card reader and ACDsee v4 and you won't look back!
Old Dec 9, 2002, 6:01 PM   #5

voxmagna,

Even when I had it shut down and the icon removed from the bar, I still couldn't connect with my ISP. It was very weird. Still can't install the program without it affecting my internet dial-up.

I'm not sure what is remaining on my system since I restored it. I had to update Adobe Acrobat, because it left something that didn't agree with the version that I had been running.

Overall, I'm not sure what to do. I don't know how to get this going. I'm definitely not an expert, and this is my first camera. Not a very auspicious beginning, I would say. ops:
Old Dec 9, 2002, 6:17 PM   #6

Solutions will be found so don't worry. Most people have probs. getting the cam to talk to pc via USB.

Check your diallup settings (I'm on win98 so other xp users can help better). If you go to the setup options for your ISP, make sure it is set as the default dialler.

When I used diallup, I always connected manually from an icon on the desktop and turned off the auto connect option in the browser. So you know which connection is being dialled out.

If the FP viewer didn't find a connection on install, it might have made its own, set to default. If your ISP setup was via a CD, can you re-install after the FP viewer was put on?

When you say you can't connect, do you mean you get nothing in the browser window, or do you mean your dialler is not dialing out, or it is dialling out but failing on username or password?
Old Dec 9, 2002, 6:20 PM   #7

The system dials out. I get the grey box with my name and password info, and Windows says that it is dialing...connecting with server...verifying username and password...connection failed.
Old Dec 9, 2002, 6:38 PM   #8

Find file modemlog.txt and see if it gives up any clues for your last failed logon. If your logon file is empty, make sure you tick the box in modem setup 'create log file' and try to re-connect. There are some modem settings which FP might have altered. That's why I suggested re-running your ISP set up disc.

If you are an experienced pc user, check all your TCP/IP option settings and modem settings (particularly error control settings on/off). The problem has to be something changed in here somewhere. Try retyping exactly your username and password in case it got corrupted. Sorry, but run out of ideas.
Old Dec 9, 2002, 6:41 PM   #9

voxmagna,

Thanks for the ideas. I'll give them a try. However, I set up my internet connection myself, rather than from a disk, and I couldn't see where anything changed.

I'll try what you suggested about the log file, though. That makes sense.
Old Dec 10, 2002, 3:07 AM   #10

Default Latest FinePix Viewer

Make sure you have the latest version of FinePix Viewer installed.
Go to the following Fuji page and download the XP version 3.2:

http://www.fujifilm.ca/downloads/Dow...SID=113&ID=390

Maybe your current version isn't XP compatible...
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote