Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Dec 9, 2002, 4:52 PM   #1

Default S602 6MP and Video

I have a couple of questions:

1) I have tried taking pictures in both 6MP Fine and 3MP Fine. I know this is going to sound crazy, but it seems that the 3MP photos are better quality. Does anyone have any thoughts on what's going on?

2) I took some video in VGA mode using a 1G IBM Microdrive. It plays back on my TV directly from the camera just fine (no jerkiness at all). However, when I copy it to my PC and play it using Windows MediaPlayer, the quality is poor and the playback is "jerky". Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong here?

Thanks,

Kevin
kevin.hollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 9, 2002, 5:36 PM   #2

YEP, On 1) see my earlier posts. 3Mpix better, nobody rose to my challenge to post magnified images showing 6Mpix was worth the extra storage and slower cam.

On 2) I also agree, I started thinking it was my GFX card, but it's a GEforce64 so should be OK. Tried reducing scan to 25Hz and it seemed better. Also converting file(V.Slow) to Mpeg seemed to improve it a bit. Somebody here said most of the probs. were because the 602 didn't have image stabilisation, so pans and wobbly cam was a no-no. Haven't gone back to try tripod shots yet or a multi-media chipped pc.

I agree its real time analogue scanned video out is reasonable, but 640x480 at 60fps should look stunning compared to say DV - so why isn't it?
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2002, 3:55 AM   #3

If you play back your movies with FinePix Viewer, are they still jerky? FinePix Viewer also lets you convert them from AVI to WMV format. Try that to see if WMP plays them better.
You didn't say how fast a PC (in MHZ) or what video card you are using. I had a problem with video on a Pentium 200MMX with a Matrox Mystique 8MB video card. All was ok when I upgraded to a Celeron 500 with a Geforce2 MX 32MB video card. I still experience problems with Windows Media Player version 7 being jerky with some videos I've downloaded off the Web. It's not my PC's capabilities, 'cause I can play DVDs fine using software (PowerDVD), and OpenGL CDROMs play at full FPS speed also.
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2002, 4:00 AM   #4

I read somewhere that the 6MP interpolated pictures look better in prints but worse on a monitor (than the 3MP ones). I agree with the view that the 6MP don't look better on my (small) 15" monitor, but I haven't seen them printed out.
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2002, 4:55 AM   #5

Default your Pcs specs.

Hi Kevin
What is your PC's specifications such as RAM,CPU .....etc
misina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2002, 7:09 AM   #6

For info I'm using a 1Ghz Athlon, Geforce 64Mb GFX card and 19" high res. monitor.

If I can't zoom and see improved resolution in the image at 3 and 6Mpix on a monitor, for identical enlarged areas of high detail, then I don't believe it's really there!
Old Dec 10, 2002, 3:13 PM   #7

My PC is a 750Mhz P3 with 256M of RAM. Additionally, it plays other videos just fine, so I'm sure it's not the PC. As suggested, I'll try converting the file using FinePix Viewer and see what happens. Thanks to all for the advice!
kevin.hollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2002, 4:19 PM   #8

Well, I've just remembered my experience with FP Viewer replaying movies. Using FP viewer and Media Player, initially I found not a lot of difference replaying movie sequences.

But then both were in small windows. When I told W. Media Player to go full screen, like my TV, then I was disappointed with the motion judder.

So are you guys having better results with DVD replaying full size? If so the comparisons might be fair and reasonable. BUT aren't DVD players hardware decode and likely to be faster than software .AVI decoding which might not be V. Good? I tried to find an alternative .AVI file to use as a test, but that didn't do so well on the jerky front either in full screen.
Old Dec 10, 2002, 6:21 PM   #9

Here's a bit of science on the jerky video front. I now believe the problems seen are due to CPU load. That is, the ability of the pc processor to handle the frame rate/colour depth/resolution of streaming video.

Just because a pc is a Pentium 500Mhz +++, doesn't mean its cpu can handle continuous thruput of fairly high res media files. So that's why 1/2VGA has less jerk - less data for the cpu to handle. Also, converting files in FP Viewer to WMV has the same effect- downsample, lower res, lower frame-rate, less cpu load. Try Mpeg conversion to 25hz - a bit filmic, but smoother.

Try this on your pc: install this freebie cpu monitor, put a small AVI file in a loop with the CPU monitor on top. If it's hitting 100% you need a better pc! Try reducing display colour from say 32/24 down to 16bit, you'll see the cpu load drop and less jerk! Perhaps those with fast multi-media pc's can feedback their results replaying AVI video or DVD files.

So if there's a GFX card out there, setup to decode AVI through its own hardware & cpu (bit like the normal Direct X features) , I'd expect that to work better.

http://www.idyle.com/cpuload/
Old Dec 11, 2002, 4:41 AM   #10

Default i think problem is PC

640x480 VGA is an uncompressed video format which s602 produced.
So you can replay some compressed video formats even DVDs in full screen mode. But if you wanna replay an uncompressed video you have to have at least P4
Or you may convert the video into a mpeg file.

I have two PCs first one is p3-600mhz 256ram
second one is P4-2000mhz 512ram

I tried this issue with both of them and I experienced same problems with the first one. But my P4 replayed the same video very well
misina is offline   Reply With Quote