Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Apr 13, 2005, 10:18 AM   #1

Is there a way using the viewfinder so see when you are focusing right...

I mean,... many cameras shows like a ghost image, when both images overlaps you got the right focus.

I can´t find a way to realize in an easy way when I´m getting the right focus.

Thanks

SinRastro
SinRastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 13, 2005, 11:13 AM   #2

Yes there is. If you depress the shutter release button half-way down and hold it, you will see what looks like two brackets come together in the center of the viewfinder and simultaneously, you will hear a rapid "beep, beep". This indicates that the AF has locked onto your target. As long as you hold the shutter release down, the focus will remain locked.

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2005, 11:47 AM   #3

Thanks,.. but I´m talking about Manual Focus,.. not S-AF or C-AF, in the Manual Focus the brackets you talked about doesn´t move.

Other way it won´t be "Manual".

Old Apr 13, 2005, 8:00 PM   #4

I guess it depends on what you mean by "focusing right".

The manual focus on the S5100/5500 is used to MOVE the field offocustoward you or away from you. It's not like the old 35mm cameras where you dial in the focus. You must set the focus using the S-AF method (press the shutter buttom down halfway) then use the manual focus to move the field of focus.

The auto focus on the S51000/5500 is superb. I've used it on a rabit about 75' away on Tele and through glass. I then MOVED the focus field back a little to sharpen the background a hair. (No pun) :-)

The procedure is covered on p.48 of the manual.

CCWKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2005, 8:52 PM   #5

SinRastro wrote:
Quote:
Thanks,.. but I´m talking about Manual Focus,.. not S-AF or C-AF, in the Manual Focus the brackets you talked about doesn´t move.
When in manual focus mode, if there is enough light and contrast on the subject, you will see a yellow arrow appear on the left or right of the focus brackets which indicate in which direction the cameras AF logic thinks you should adjust the focus.. when the subject is in acceptable focus the arrows will dissapear and the focus brackets will turn yellow. I have found that it is often necessary to vary the focus quite a bit to get the arrows to appear in the first place as the camera would seem to need to figure out where the point of best focus is first before it can tell you that you which direction to adjust the focus.
Of course, this only works if there is enough light/contrast for the AF logic to work... in which case why not just use the AF? I have found it useful when needing to focus infront of the subject to reduce the DOF behind it, I use AF first then go to manual and back the focus off untill I only just have yellow brackets (or the arrow on left just appears)
Why do you want to use manual focus? if it is because of low light then life gets very hard. Unfortunately the S5100/5500 does not provide magnification of the focus point or any other method of verifying the focus... other than hoping you get it right visually on the LCD or EVF which is very hard under good light and damn near impossible in low light as you can't see anything anyway.
NivlacNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2005, 8:05 AM   #6

Thanks both of you guys

I saw the Yellow arrow but when I need it it wasn´t there,... now tahta you mention that the FF needs light to show you that arrow...I get why it wasn´t there

BTW... got that bunny pic to see it?

Thanks again
Old Apr 14, 2005, 9:27 PM   #7

Quote:
BTW... got that bunny pic to see it?
Ok, but it wasn't meant to be published. :-)

I was sending it to family members to show them the rabbits we had around here. This was shot through the front storm door (glass). The rabit is just at the edge what I usually cut for a "lawn". That's about +75' from the door.

Attached Images

Old Apr 14, 2005, 9:42 PM   #8

... And yes, I do live in the sticks. :G

Had two coyotes about 20' from the back door last fall. They were after the chickens. Sorry, I missed that shot! I was grabbing for the shotgun instead of the camera. :-)
Old Apr 15, 2005, 12:09 AM   #9

Nice Shot!
MikDee is offline   Reply With Quote