Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Dec 14, 2002, 12:31 AM   #1

Default m603

hi,
does anybody know abt where to get m603 in usa.i am also confused btween m603,s602 and canon s230 . i am aiming for a good consumer camera which wrks gd in low lights also and is usefl during holiday/family shots . but along with that i wld also like it to hav sum srt of useful movie capabilities(s602 or m603) .
nutty_me!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 14, 2002, 6:36 AM   #2

Don't know what movie file formats you're looking at, but AVI (uncompressed) is pretty heavy weight on file sizes and post processing conversion to be serious.

If you can find a cam that's both good at stills, and records/stores DV or MPEG files, I'd look at that. PS a movie cam which does stills may be pretty poor on the stills side.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2002, 3:30 PM   #3

Default hitachi m2

:arrow: have u heard of it . twas launched in jan,2001 . it took dv sort of mpegs but processed them on board itself . was compact in size but offered upto vga stills quality . check it out at hitachi website . its unavailable anymore . twas around 1000$ .
secondly, i dont think any cam exists(to my knowledge) which doesnt store in avi/quicktime/motion jpeg (for movies) .have u heard of any ?
Old Dec 18, 2002, 5:01 PM   #4

I was rather hoping you might have come across a current model! Until then I've resigned myself to the 602 as a good all round stills cam but with movie as a curiosity feature. I had probs with jerky video until I found a better decoder than the Win default. Stand back at 4-6H from a high res monitor and the pics look OK. Sit closer and you see the warts!

BUT these files are BIG. I've found some AVI/MPEG conversion software which gets the file size down, but it takes an age to process. The best hope for the future is MPEG4/H264. However, these are new emerging compression standards.

Movie compression really needs doing in the cam. AVI as you say is too heavy. I think cheaper, more widely available microdrives will create more opportunities for movie in these small cams.
Old Dec 24, 2002, 7:03 AM   #5

Default think d same too......

i hav also settled for 602 for the moment and am on the verge of buying it . mpeg4 is way far from now . till then 3mp would be a passe' and then probabaly i'll buy the new one with better movie capabilities. btw which s/w were u talkin about for decoding avi to mpeg and any idea how long it takes 320 * 240 @30fps to be converted .
Old Dec 25, 2002, 2:41 PM   #6

On a 1Ghz Athlon, about 1 -5X the run time of the movie for 640 X480 @30fps. If movies are your speciality, look for the CPU MMX performance in latest fast PC's. A better option is to do hardware conversion. This involves finding a card (possibly Dvd?) , which will take M-JPEG in and convert to MPEG in hardware. But not found one yet!.

Personally, I'm not over the moon about the 640X480 M-JPEG quality, JPEG artefacts are very visibly on pans, since they are in different areas of the pics, frame to frame. Firstly I'd like to see a package that can clean up the AVI pics a little, before considering re-encoding.