Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Apr 19, 2005, 8:47 PM   #1

I just bought a Fuji s5100 this past weekend, and I have a question about the lens. After I turn the camera on, I can touch the barrel of the lens, and it will move when I touch it. By move I mean sideways or up and down, depending on where I touch it. If I am looking at either the lcd or evf I can see the image move as I touch the barrel. If I am holding the camera when turned on, and rotate the camera around I can hear the lens "bumping". I have never had a lens do this, and would like to hear what other forum users opinions are.

Thanks,
Jerry
jbirtsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 19, 2005, 8:57 PM   #2
rds

I just tried it with my camera; there's a very slight "wobble" when I touch it, but no more than I'd expect, and the pic still stays in focus. If yours moves more that you think it should, take it in and have it looked at. As for the "bumping", my guess is that you've got it set to Auto and it's constantly focusing as you move the camera around. Good luck and have fun with it; I love mine!
rds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2005, 9:14 PM   #3

A slight amount of movement seems to be normal for the lens on these cameras... I have never found it to cause any problems.
I would highly recomend however that you attach the adapter tube to the camera (The tube used for mounting 55mm filters etc) this will not only stop you touching, and moving, the lens but it serves well to protect it from damage (i.e. from things blocking it when it is extending etc, or from it getting more serious bumps).
It does unfortunately add a little more bulk to the camera but I think this is preferable to ending up with a damaged lens.

Calvin
NivlacNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2005, 6:30 AM   #4

I am actually getting the "bumping" sound with the camera turned off. As I move it around I get the sound, and I know that it is caused by the lens movement.

Thanks for the reply,
Jerry
Old Apr 20, 2005, 7:41 AM   #5

This is a common item that a lot of people notice, it is normal, not a defect. I just put on the includedlenshood when I first got it, and never looked back. It helps me keep my fingerprints off the lens (which ocassionally I've done on cameras without it):-)
MikDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2005, 10:11 AM   #6

Thanks for the feedback. How do you like your s5100. I had some doubts about buying it, always been a Canon fan. Most of the things said about it in the reviws were pretty good, and the price ($311 at a Sams club) with a cass, battery charger and 4 rechargeable batteries was hard to beat. I really like the way it fits my hand.
Old Apr 20, 2005, 5:29 PM   #7

OK, mine moves too, but I have never let it bother me.

I like my S5100 a lot - it has renewed my interest in photography. Every time I upload some fresh pictures to my computer, I'm amazed at how good a photographer my camera makes me seem!

You made a good choice.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2005, 1:24 PM   #8

I use to own a fuji s5000. i think its just normal. Even my EF-s canon lens got a little wobble. always leave the lens hood and uv filter on for extra proctection.
mark040477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2005, 9:26 PM   #9

Just leave the adapter ring on, it serves as a lens shade too.
crazydrummer4562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2005, 5:21 PM   #10

does NOT serve as a lens shade

uv filter will ever so slightly degrade every image

still a good idea to avoid 'bumps'
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote