Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Dec 14, 2002, 10:12 PM   #1

Default Help with S602

Hi all. I am the proud new owner of a S602. I have a question though. When I shoot a pic (in just about every mode) I am getting the small hand icon up unless I have the flash up? I am in good lighting, and when I snap the pic, the flash is washing it out. I have tried this while holding the camera in hand, as well as on a tripod. It is not a bad pic, but a little too bright. But when I point the camera driectly into the light, the hand icon goes away I am also noticing that alot of my pics are blurry. Not greatly, but enough that it is making me question if I am doing something wrong. I have moved from a Kodak DC290 to this S602. I am surprised that the auto mode is not getting the pictures right? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
ksprousejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 15, 2002, 4:46 AM   #2

You had the same problem as me 'what the H*ll is this funny icon'. There's also another one if you plug in a CF card.

The hand icon is a warning to tell you that the shutter speed is low and you might get camera shake. I think it comes on at 1/80th second. Personally, I've shot at much lower and still got sharp pics.

However, If this is coming on regularly in auto mode you must be shooting at night or indoors without flash! Enable and checkout the shutter settings at the bottom of the viewfinder window.

In auto mode, in low light, your cam will open its iris to maximum, then find a shutter speed anywhere from a few seconds to 1/10000ths of a second. You need to check what it's doing. If light is too low, or speed not fast enough, auto focus will not work either - so out of focus pics!

Your cam works at a fixed 100 ASA sensitivity in auto mode. Switch to programme, or manual mode, and you can choose other speed options with some loss of quality. Indoors, no flash, you probably need 400-800 ASA. READ THE MANUAL!

If your pics are coming out 'light' it may be your monitor/printer setup. But if they are really over-exposed in auto, have you been playing with the exposure compensation settings? What does the histogram display tell you?

Read about EXIF from some of my other posts. There are programs which can look at the cam settings on your files and tell you what preset settings aperture/shutter etc it's using for auto shots.

This is a brilliant cam, you must read the manual and understand some of the decisions it makes in auto, and how to get around instances when you're asking too much of it in auto mode.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2002, 8:01 AM   #3

Default Thanks-One more question about numbering.

VOX- Well I guess that I am just going to have to play with the different settings. As I stated, I am very new to this. My last camera did not have the control that this one does, so it will take some time. Now for part two- Does any one know if there are plans for a firmware update to resolve the numbering system on the S602. I can not believe that Fuji can create such an awesome camera, and then make it so that the picture file names do not continue in sequence? Thanks again for the advice!
ksprousejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2002, 4:21 PM   #4

I've already posted stuff here on numbering. Don't know how you upgrade firmware, it hasn't been talked about. Just settle down and explore the range of flexibility. No cam is perfect. All models have their pros and cons.

Start with the outside shooting in good light, and indoor flash. Sounds like your first experiments were indoors, no flash. Tough cookie until you learn how to drive everything - and that means literally in the dark with no handbook! You will find most controls are comfy in the hands.

There are some annoyances, like film speed and picture res/quality changes can be reset as you switch between modes. But on the whole it's a fun cam packed with goodies.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote