Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Apr 25, 2005, 7:07 PM   #1

Can't leave well enough alone. I just read a review on the Kodak Z740 and am having second thoughts on the S5100. Can anyone tell me why I would not want the Kodak

I am driving myself crazy. Too many decisions :?

Thanks

Dian
dianls is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 30, 2005, 9:42 AM   #2

Don't know why you are comparing the S5100 to the Z740, since they are not really at the same level (MP resolution, price, etc.). A better comparison would be between the Z740 and the S7000. But anyway, check on cycle times between the three:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/Z740/Z740DATA.HTM

(read the note, carefully)

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/S5100/S51DATA.HTM

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/S7000/S70A7.HTM

If speed means anything to you...

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2005, 5:48 PM   #3

Hmmmmmm. I don't see anything on any of the pages except the left column links. That site must be trying to load something funky and my filters are traping it.

And NO, I'm not going to turn off my "Unfriendly Site" filters.

You better check your computer for spyware, trackers and viruses Hun!
CCWKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2005, 8:19 PM   #4

Relax Ken,

No spyware, malware, scumware, trojans or other nasty little critters on my computer...maybe you have some on yours?

I just checked the links, and they all open up fine in Netscape. I even made the supreme sacrifice - I tried it on MSIE (I hate IE). It worked fine there, too. I'm running Netscape 7.2 with popup blocking 'on', Zonealarm, and McAfee running in the background.

What kind of "unfriendly site" filters are you running? Are you blocking cookies?

I can assure you that imaging-resource.com is not an evil site.

the Hun
Old May 1, 2005, 9:22 PM   #5

Ok I got the answer. Kodak cameras are gay.
crazydrummer4562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2005, 10:12 PM   #6

Yes Sir! Most "forced" cookies get dumped. I'm set to take temporary cookies and some from selected sites.There's no need that I see for sites to load "10-year" cookies on anyone's computer. I also use a Host File, firewall, antivirus and another I won't mention. If a site needs a "permanent cookie" to work, I don't need to see the site. There's too many better sites around. Just my thoughts. YMMV.
CCWKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 4:02 AM   #7

You can always delete the cookies after each session - no need to leave them on your computer for 10 years. And how would you know if there are better sites around if you've never been there? Pretty soon, your computer will block all sites, then I'll miss your valued opinions.

the Hun
Old May 9, 2005, 5:08 PM   #8

CCWKen,

I guess you have to sign in to 'Steve's Forums' every time you visit!

What a pain!

There are digitallysigned cookies and unsigned cookies. just set your firewall(s) to accept the 'good' cookies and reject the others. Or do you think Mel Gibson (conspiracy theory) is correct and they are all out to get you?

Maybe they are! Who knows?

john

bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2005, 10:49 PM   #9

crazydrummer4562 wrote:
Quote:
Ok I got the answer. Kodak cameras are gay.
I hope you're kidding with that one.

I've had two Kodak digicams in the past, and looked real hard at the big zoom camera they had when I bought my s7000. I loved my pervious Kodak's and they have one BIG advantage over the Fuji's (at least to me), they shoot at 4x6 aspect ratio, instead of 4x3. That means that everything has to be cropped from the Fuji, and that you can compose in the viewfinderwith the Kodak and knowyou'll get everythingonthe 4x6 print.

Inthe end I pickedthe Fuji though because Kodak had switched from CF to SM or something, and I already had a ton of CF memory from my other Kodak's. I also like the movie mode on the Fuji and the added control that Fuji gives you. Kodak tends to hold your hand more, and there's nothing wrong with that, that's what made Kodak the number 1 digicam with women...they're easyand they just work. But like I said, I wanted to learn more about the camera, and I thought the Fuji camera was the better one for that.
Basement Shows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2005, 9:38 AM   #10

First of all... get a Mac like I have and forget about viri and spyware forever.

The z740 feels cheap. The flash pops up when you turn it on each time which does not sound like a big deal, but it is a pain to me to push it down ever time you turn on the camera.

The 5100 has that lens "issue" with the dark corners. I read somewhere that if you place your finger on the bottom right corner of the lens and push it up and to the left there is no problem. That is totally unacceptable to me.

If you are looking for a super zoom get a Panasonic. It IS superior to both above cameras. I had a FZ-15 and it was amazing! I sold it to get something more compact...and that is the only reason...it is a fantastic camera that in quality and features will blew the to above cameras away.

I also was a S5000 owner and paid $499 for that bugger the day it was placed on the shelf! It too was a good camera and it did not have the issues like on the S5100.
Goofas is offline   Reply With Quote