Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Apr 29, 2005, 3:50 PM   #1

Hello all,

I have been asked to help choose a camera for my father in law's B-day. The problem is we have to go find one tomorrow after I get out of work....

I own an S5000 and they like the camera and the style of it (SLR) so I thought about the new 5100 for him. Apparently he would REALLY like a digicam that does panoramic. I don't think this camera does it (just like mine).....or am I wrong? Olympus maybe?

If anyone can tell if there isa under $500 digicam out there that is SLR style that does panoramic pics I would greatly appreciate it!I need to figure this out ASAP..:?

Vermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 29, 2005, 4:33 PM   #2

Okay...think I might have answered my own question..I guess

Just got off phone with Olympus..I guess with their cameras they have a pana mode which you need to take multiple shots that will be spliced together to make the pana pic.

Am I correct in thinking that straight pana pics are made by a lense and not splicing multiple shots using a tripod?

Vermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2005, 4:20 PM   #3
Administrator

I just now noticed your post (I don't read them all). ;-)

You probably didn't get any responses because you posted this in our Fujifilm Digital SLR Forum, which is forDSLR models like the S1 Pro, S2 Pro, and S3 Pro.

A Digital SLR does not have the ability to do a "Panorama Assist" (which is what you appear to be referring to), since the LCD isn't used for framing (because of the mirror in the way of the light path until you press the shutter button).

Although, I wouldn't rule this kind of thing out in the future for DSLR models (since the S3 Pro appears to have a way to do a live feed using Mirror Lockup for limited purposes). Also, the sensors used incurrent DSLR models are not designed to be sampled at a rate fast enough for useful for a live feed, even without the SLR design taken into consideration.

Models like the S5000 and S5100 are "SLR Like" in some respects, but they aren'tSingle Lens Reflex Cameras. So, I'll move thisthread to our Fujifilm Forum

I haven't thoroughly researched it, but I'm not familiar with any Fuji models that have a Panorama assist feature.

This doesn't mean that you can't take Panorama photos with them. It only means that the camera doesn't have a way to display portions of the previous image to help with framing the next.

If you're careful about how you are framing, making sure to overlap some of the last image's area for the next, you can take Panoramas with any camera, even if it doesn't have a Panorama Assist mode.You will need software to stitch the images together,though (and models with this kind of feature usually include software that stitches images together, although the included software may not be the best).It's a good idea to use Autoexposure Lock when doing it with any camera, as to reduce exposure differences between images you want to stitch together.

You'll find a dedicated Panoramas / Stitching Forum for discussing Panoramas and software to help create them

In addition to Olympus models (if you want a Panorama Assist function to assist with framing),you may also want to look at Canon.Many of their models havea "Stitch Assist" feature (you'll see it listed inmany of their cameras' specifications under shooting modes).

Quote:
Just got off phone with Olympus..I guess with their cameras they have a pana mode which you need to take multiple shots that will be spliced together to make the pana pic.

Am I correct in thinking that straight pana pics are made by a lense and not splicing multiple shots using a tripod?

Be sure that you are aware of any limitations with Olympus models. Some may not allow Panorama Assist unless you use an Olympus brand card.

With Digital Cameras, when you see Panorama features mentioned, they're just referring tothe stitch assist modes to help you align and overlap the shots, based on the displaying one edge of the previous photo taken, when framing the next while you're in this stitch assist mode.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 6:51 PM   #4

I think you'll find that even with the "panorama" feature in the Olympus cameras you still have to "stitch" the images using software to create your panorama photograph. The camera does not do that work for you. So if you experiment a little bit with your camera I suspect you will be able to develop a routine that will work for you. All the panorama assist feature does is assist you in lining up and overlapping your images. So, with a little practice, you should be able to shoot panorama photographs with just about any camera.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote