Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old May 1, 2005, 5:41 PM   #1

Just received my S5100 a couple of days ago, and just found this great forum... so hopefully, someone with the same camera can answer.

When I put the camera into Shutter Priority mode, the up arrow lowers the shutter speed, and the down arrow raises the shutter speed. Is that the way this is supposed to work? Seem kind of counter intuitive to me.

Same with Aperture Priority mode... up lowers the f stop, and down raises it.

Thanks in advance.
New2Fuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 1, 2005, 7:33 PM   #2

My S5100 does the same thing. I guess it's all in how you look at it. In Shutter-Priority, pressing the up arrow lowers the shutter speed number, but that means that the shutter will remain open longer, therefore increasing the amount of time the shutter remains open ('up' makes it increase). Same with Aperture-Priority...pressing the up arrow lowers the F-Stop number, but that means that the size of the aperture (opening) is larger ('up' makes it larger).

I never really thought about it, but I can understand your confusion. Maybe a camera designed in the USA would behave differently.

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2005, 7:52 PM   #3

Ok, as a fellow owner of a S5100...when you push the D pad down and the number increases you get a higher shutter speed, when you push it upwards you get a lower shutter speed.

oh and with apeture, if you push the d-pad down it brings the center into focus only, but if you push it up it brings the entire frame into focus.
crazydrummer4562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2005, 8:15 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply... I guess it will take some getting used to.

How do you like your S5100 so far? This is my first digital camera, and it seems to do a pretty good job... so far.

I still have all my film cameras and darkroom equipment... I just don't have any place to set up a darkroom where I live now. I can't stand for anyone else to develop my film... so I don't get the old film cameras out much anymore.

Thought I would take the plunge with a lower end/cost camera (as opposed to a DSLR), until I decided if I liked "digital" or not

Thanks again.
New2Fuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2005, 8:31 PM   #5

I really like my S5100. It has renewed my interest in photography. I took it with me on a business trip last week, and I took over 200 shots. I never would have done that with a film camera - too expensive. I've gotten some really good telephoto shots of wildlife, which I would have missed without a megazoom. The best part is that it makes it easy to email pics to my friends and relatives. It's not a DSLR, but for the money, it's a great camera.

Good luck with yours.

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2005, 9:27 PM   #6

It's my first camera as well, in fact I've only had it for a week now. If you'd like some sample pictures I took feel free to email me at [email protected] or on AIM: CrazyDrummer4562

oh and I love it, I've posted pictures that were taken on 640x480 and people have told me that they belong on national geographic. like this one:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...mer4562/c6.jpg
btw that was the first pic I ever took with it haha
crazydrummer4562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 9:05 AM   #7

Nice pic Drummer. Makes me drool evenmore waiting for my 5100 to arrive.:?
Bucksnort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 10:35 AM   #8

This is a great camera, the only thing I´m suffering about is the lack of a Flash Shoe or a conection to an external flash.

But I still love it :|
SinRastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2005, 10:19 PM   #9

I've had the 5100 about a week now, and I keep looking for things to take pictures of. Had a good outing Saturday with some photos in and around the NE Oklahoma area, around the Riverparks area of Tulsa. Took about 120 pictures in 2 hours. Still getting a feel for this camera, but sofar I like it. It's just my second Digicam; had an old 2mp HP point-and-shoot that I didn't care for (bought about 8/2001). The Fuji blows that thing smooth out of the water.

Then, my cousin, who actually turned me on to his camera (Finepix 3800) took me out to the local photog store; got a 55mm UV filter and a Tamrac Digital 4 case to hold everything in. I may have to start taking days off of work to find stuff to take pictures of!
Slamcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2005, 10:03 AM   #10

I have had my 5100 for a couple of days now. Last night I set the camera to portrait mode and handed it to my wife (who isn't really very camera savvy) and told her to take some pictures of our daughter and her fiance. She was so excited as we looked at the pictures on the computer. This is an awesome little camera, in my opinion.

I have been using a 5 MP Pentax for the last couple of years. I don't know if something has gone wrong with the sensor, or what. But every time I take a lot of people pictures with it, it seems like I have to spend an unusually long time in Photoshop trying to get the skin tones right. But the 5100 seemed to be right on. I was very impressed with the color.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote