Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old May 4, 2005, 3:35 AM   #1

Ok, I was messing with my S7000 a few weeks ago and discovered that if I put it into manual focus, cover the lens and press that quick focus button inside the focus selector, it focuses with no fuss. I thought that's odd but handy to know.
Last night I used the same technique to focus a macro shot with virtually no light(without covering the lens though), the only source beeing my tv set at the other side of the room.
Theni managed to focus into a dark corner left in a shadow by the tv light, onto a black filing cabinet.
How come it can focus in nearly complete darkness like this? And more importantly, why doesn't it do it on it's own in low light instead of just maoning !AF at you?
I'm guessing it is using that second IR system on top, but I cant't work out how that works.
sidneylopsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 25, 2005, 11:52 AM   #2

Hi,

I don't understand why this works either but it's the best tip I've ever seen here. I take a lot of pic's indoors, often in poorly lit bars and restaurants where normal manual or auto focusing is almost impossible. Now the nightmare of badly focused shots is over.

Can't thank you enough m8.

Roger

RogerUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2005, 1:07 PM   #3

No problem mate
Strange no one seems to know about it, never seen it mentioned before in all the threads about the poor low light focusing perfomance.
Old May 28, 2005, 10:46 AM   #4

It's been posted about a million times. Usually posted as: set to SP mode, landscape, cover lens, set to manual focus and hit the auto focus button. That sets the camera to infinity focus.

Do a quick search of the forum and you'll see it mentioned quite often.
Basement Shows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2005, 1:12 PM   #5

Not quite the same thing. I've seen that used for shooting the moon etc, but not for general low light focusing, indoors etc.
This works for any distance, including macro.
I've seen people complain it has difficulty focsuing indoors in low light, this gets around it. But I still don't know how it works.