Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Dec 20, 2002, 7:40 PM   #1

Default s602 Zoom, EVF, ISO 100 and Sony Mavica MVC-CD400

Today, I bought a copy of Digital Photographer magazine's 2003 Digital Camera Guide. Following their 10-step purchase decision process, I've (once again) narrowed my 'purchase candidate list' to two cameras: the s602 Zoom and Sony's Mavica MVC-CD400. First, I just read on this forum that Auto Mode on the s602z is limited to ISO 100. Why does Fuji do that? I also read here that ISO can be changed in Program Mode, which is good to know. Secondly, what is the opinion of forum members regarding the Electronic View Finder (EVF)? Lastly, had anyone else considered the Sony before purchasing the s602z? What swayed you to the Fuji?

Thank you.
Owlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 21, 2002, 9:30 AM   #2

I have the 602. Yes there are some quirky illogical software features and a big trap for the unwary. ASA is always pre-set to 200 in Auto. In Programme mode, If you set the ASA it remembers the last setting on re-power - that's ok. However, if you change the res. quality, as well as being remembered on re-power it is applied to ALL modes, including Auto - so not quite idiot proof.

Now here's the trap: In Programme mode you can select 800ASA and higher which forces the cam to 1Mpix res.. Sadly, all modes including auto are now set to 1Mpix, even on re-power. The only clue in the EVF window is your shot count availability has gone up!

I think the logic to 'auto' is for dummies who can switch it on, point and shoot and get a pic. You'll notice in auto that many options are not selectable (but watch for the res. quality trap). If auto remembered settings, I agree it would be useful for more experienced users, but out of the box after fiddling by a new user, the cam might not perform!

If this is Fuji's logic I partly agree with it. Program Mode is the one to use for features, but I cannot agree with the res. quality trap. What could they do? Well, on re-power the cam could select the 'user default res.' instead of what it last used. In auto, I think they should make their minds up, fix the res. quality and ASA or allow both. If they allowed both, there could be advantages for 'point and shoot' users presetting to 200-400ASA. Particularly in flash range and battery life for flash. For point and shoot expectations, I think they missed a trick in not setting default sensitivity higher.

EVF: well you either like them or hate them. Ergonomically, and as I use my cam without specs. I like the eyepiece compensation. However, I'd be happy with an lcd+lens viewfinder to save the batt. power. But then this cam uses AA batts. and they're getting bigger!

Having said this, Programme mode does everything auto can do, and it's a brill cam - but watch out for the res. change trap.

Why Fuji for me? : Standard AA batts getting bigger, lots of flexibility features, SM,CF (sort of compatible) Microdrive media options. Ergonomic, reasonable zoom. High film speed (lower res.) options.

Gripes: 6Mpix interpolation I can't finder any better than 3Mpix. Non- standard lens ring size limiting filter options for Fuji addon lenses. Some firmware improvements could be made, but no apparent route for upgrade. No focus assist light. Basic software in box, unrealistic 16Mb SM card in box, no cam case, no alkaline batts in box no Nimh batts or charger.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2002, 11:15 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
I have the 602. Yes there are some quirky illogical software features and a big trap for the unwary. ASA is always pre-set to 100 in Auto. In Programme mode, If you set the ASA it remembers the last settting on re-power - that's ok. However, if you change the res. quality, as well as being remembered on re-power it is applied to ALL modes, including Auto - so not quite idiot proof.

Now here's the trap: In Programme mode you can select 800ASA and higher which forces the cam to 1Mpix res.. Sadly, all modes including auto are now set to 1Mpix, even on re-power. The only clue in the EVF window is your shot count availability has gone up!

I think the logic to 'auto' is for dummies who can switch it on, point and shoot and get a pic. You'll notice in auto that many options are not selectable (but watch for the res. quality trap). If auto remembered settings, I agree it would be useful for more experienced users, but out of the box after fiddling by a new user, the cam might not perform!

If this is Fuji's logic I partly agree with it. Program Mode is the one to use for features, but I cannot agree with the res. quality trap. What could they do? Well, on re-power the cam could select the 'user default res.' instead of what it last used. In auto, I think they should make their minds up, fix the res. quality and ASA or allow both. If they allowed both, there could be advantages for 'point and shoot' users presetting to 200-400ASA. Particularly in flash range and battery life for flash. For point and shoot expectations, I think they missed a trick in not setting default sensitivity higher.

EVF: well you either like them or hate them. Ergonomically, and as I use my cam without specs. I like the eyepiece compensation. However, I'd be happy with an lcd+lens viewfinder to save the batt. power. But then this cam uses AA batts. and they're getting bigger!

Having said this, Programme mode does everything auto can do, and it's a brill cam - but watch out for the res. change trap.

Why Fuji for me? : Standard AA batts getting bigger, lots of flexibility features, SM,CF (sort of compatible) Microdrive media options. Ergonomic, reasonable zoom. High film speed (lower res.) options.

Gripes: 6Mpix interpolation I can't finder any better than 3Mpix. Non- standard lens ring size limiting filter options for Fuji addon lenses. Some firmware improvements could be made, but no apparent route for upgrade. No focus assist light. Basic software in box, unrealistic 16Mb SM card in box, no cam case, no alkaline batts in box no Nimh batts or charger.
Thanks, voxmagna. I'm quite posibly going to order one on-line today. I'm also going to print out your 'trap' warning. May I contact you off-forum if I have additional questions?

Thanks again.
Owlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2002, 11:39 AM   #4

Yep fine, as you gather, we are all biased towards the cams we use. I'm a general purpose shooter and this cam for me has more than enough flexibility to get good consistent quality shots.

My argument is, why be picky about comparing fine detail or 1 feature with another, when what matters is getting back pics - and the 602's extended ASA sensitivity will not disappoint for 6x41/2 prints, when you've mastered the controls.

I have recently been uploading upwards of 30 pics in batches from this cam, UNCORRECTED for online printing. The consistency of print quality has been excellent.
Old Dec 22, 2002, 11:31 PM   #5

My S602 shots at 200 ISO in auto mode. Check your image by pressing the info button on the left side of the camera when in preview mode. The minimum ISO setting for the S602 is 160. Check it out. Hope this takes care of the ISO questions.
rritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2002, 3:46 AM   #6

Correction! I will correct my earlier post by saying that in 'auto' mode the 602 presets to 200 ASA not 100, (verified from EXIF data). Although, as you say, it can be set in programme mode to its lowest setting of 160 ASA.

What's more important is how it relates to a film SLR, if that's what you're used to, and where the auto exposure sits in under/over/about right exposure.

I compared my 602 with my film SLR. The film speed/exposure setting, without EV compensation, in 'auto' shoots marginally under exposed. But I'd say that's OK 'cos highlights are less likely to be clipped for point and shoot pics.