Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Dec 25, 2002, 11:21 AM   #1

Default S602 - Indoor Ice Hockey

Happy Holidays. Santa left a new S602 under my tree. I am leaving tomorrow for a hockey tournament and would like to take some action pictures. If anyone could suggest some settings to start with it sure would be helpful. I have tried digital before but the auto focus caused such a delay the puck and players were long gone or out of focus. If anyone has examples of sports action pics I would be interested in taking a look.
Thanks much.
BenHoagie
BenHoagie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 25, 2002, 2:34 PM   #2

Never shot indoor hockey, but have a 602 so this might help: Autofocus is better now. Your main prob. if indoor will be exposure/flash/stopping action. Getting close is a must, and then you might get away with local flash, but don't expect miracles. You may also need to up the ASA setting (available in all modes except auto). Long zooming will also reduce the sensitivity of your camera to low light.

If there's lots of light in the arena, and you're close, then you may get away without flash using the 'S' shutter priority. You can force up the shutter speed to freeze action, leaving the iris to settle, probably at max f2.8, but your focus becomes more critical. Your new to this cam and there's a lot more you can do with external flash and some zoom, but indoors this becomes a new ball (or puck) game!

If you can avoid flash then you are lucky and can use the 5 frame continuous shooting mode, but in this mode, focus is set for the first frame so all action should be moving across the focal plane, rather than in or out of it . If autofocus is struggling (and you can force manual) you probably won't have enough light to force a high shutter speed to freeze action. You can reduce the delay time to autofocus by half pressing the 602 shutter, or set manual focus. The 602 has a SP sports mode for sports flash pics, but you must be close with built in flash. Don't forget, internal flash will be heavy on batts and longer recycle time for these type of pics, so take plenty of charged batts along.

You will probably have to under expose, but you can still pull out a fair pic. in editing which is several stops below normal exposure. Don't forget, if you really have to, to get a pic for small print output or the web, you can up the ASA to 1600 at 1Mpix. res. I haven't mentioned mixed flash/indoor light issues - but you may have to do some colour correction afterwards.

These may be difficults shots to master when you're new and some trial and error with settings is part of the learning process. Happy shooting!!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2002, 3:12 PM   #3

Thanks Vox. I appreciate your help. I got the S602 because I hoped the manual settings would help with indoor action shots. It's been difficult to find info on the subject.
BenHoagie
BenHoagie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2002, 6:18 PM   #4

Yes the manual describes the features, but only members here will help you use them to take pics!

As I explained, you have the difficult compromise of low light, fast action shutter speed, limited flash range, mixed (colour) lighting, and limitations of using zoom under these conditions to cope with.

It's probably not impossible, but when you've gone as far as the cam will go (and there is a lot of flexibility), you may need to consider one of those high power Metz flashes. But that would probably apply to film as well.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2002, 12:02 PM   #5

I shot some indoor hockey for my girlfriends son who plays in the Bantam league. If you use the flash you have to be clear of the protective glass. or it just bounces back at ya. Without flash you either have to use a slower shutter speed or a higher ISO . The latter I found gave me about a shutter speed of 125 at an 800iso. Problem was the low resolution. However the angle at which you are shooting relative to the ice will will either give you more light or less, Horizontal to ice =less light. The multiple exposure setting works great if you are trying to catch a players setup . But since you cant see through the lense while doing this you kinda have to keep both eye's open. I wasnt very pleased with my multiple shots . The single shot was easier to take. If I could figure out how to upload a photo here I would show some of my shots.
Dont froget to adjust your white balance for the indoor lighting .http://www.pbase.com/badpigg/youth_hockey
BadPigg is offline   Reply With Quote