Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Dec 25, 2002, 5:42 PM   #1

Default S602Z takes lousy pics

I have had a 602Z for about two weeks now and have yet to get more than a handful of good pics. Most are slightly blurry and/or jpg artifacts along the edges of objects in the image make it seem blurry. I have tried the 3M normal and fine settings, no difference.

I thought it might be me so I took the same pics with an Olympus 3030Z with similar settings. The same pics with the Olympus were much better, no jpg artifacts. Any thoughts on this? (Also posted on main forum)
Dan C is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 25, 2002, 7:08 PM   #2

What image print size are you seeing the artefacts on and/or what zoom ratio if looking on monitor with photo-editor. Can you copy the exif data from one of your pics. paste and post on the Fuji section? This reply put on main forum.

Today has been a bad day getting this album link to work the way it should. Checkout Win017 which is 6Mpix, and HanginBas which is 3 Mpix fine. You have to left click the thumbnails for full size (Bigger than your screen), then right click to save to file and compare in an editor.

http://www.photobox.co.uk/public/det...c_album=194043
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2002, 9:47 PM   #3

I only printed two so far (4x6), did not want to waste good paper on bad pics. The prints are "ok" but not the quality of the same pic from the Olympus 3030. On the monitor I tried all different zoom ratios. The images looked better at 50% than 100%, but worse at 35%, which was due to the computer/software. How do I copy the exif data?

I did get a really sharp picture of a leaf. It was a macro photo in program mode with the white balance set for overcast sky. The very next photo taken of a bush (not macro, but everything else the same) has so much artifacts that it strained my eyes to look at it.
Old Dec 26, 2002, 4:15 AM   #4

Why not upload a pic to Pbase.com and post a link here?
Old Dec 26, 2002, 7:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
Why not upload a pic to Pbase.com and post a link here?
I dont have an account with them. I looked at your photos from the link, but I could only see them in 2 x 3 mode. I will try to set up a web page soon.

I have figured out one of the problems. Many of the pics I took inside were with the ISO set at 1600. Did not realize that this causes the same problems as 1600 film. I studied some of the other pics a little closer. In some pics, the background is in good focus, but the subject in the middle is blurry.

I really want this camera to work out because its options and features are much better than anything else in this price range. I am starting to consider the Olympus 5050z. Would consider others, but I have too much invested in Smart Media
Old Dec 26, 2002, 9:06 AM   #6

Uploaded pics to the following url: http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/albu...c_album=193989

Pic 56 is the good one, something is wrong with #65, it strains my eyes to look at it, #71 is blurry, most are like this, regardless of the ISO setting, #72 and #73 show the difference between ISO 160 and 1600, #73 is pretty good.
Old Dec 27, 2002, 3:57 PM   #7

Dan C... I hadn't realised photobox non-members couldn't download the full res pics - sorry.

I've therefore looked at your thumbprints in low res and comment as follows:

When the 602 is set to 800 or 1600 ASA it operates in 1Mpix mode and it's not fair to compare those pics with higher res. from another cam.

2 of your pics (65 and 71) put up focus blurr warnings whilst you were taking the shot. Both were 1/64sec shutter.

You are using programme mode which in some cases requires compulsory flash, you were warned, and the shot was taken without flash.

Picture 65 was taken in programme landscape mode (The plant close-up!)

Pic. 71 boy in room, was shot at 1600ASA, (1Mpix!) flash fired for distant focus view, this flash shot and other pics in Programme mode were taken with incandescent white balance set.

Pics 72 and 73 were your Macro close-up of a brochure in a plastic reflective film wallet, the light source can be seen reflecting back from the surface.

My recommendation for you with this cam, is therefore to put the cam in AUTO mode, check it's 200ASA, restrict to optical zoom, flip the flash up when indoors, and go shoot some better pics like the outside shot you took with the Oly.

PS I'll remove my test pics from photobox.
Old Dec 28, 2002, 7:29 PM   #8

Voxmagna, thanks for your input. I did finally realize what was going on with the ISO1600, as far as your other comments, no arguement there, I was all over the place with the settings. What program are you using that shows what the settings were. Since picture taking is free from here on, I will be doing alot of experimenting. Its going to take some getting used to.

I think the Olympus 3030 is a little better at indoor low light shots, but does not compare to outdoor shots.
Old Dec 29, 2002, 5:22 AM   #9

Sounds like you're getting a bit more familiar. Pics might lie, but EXIF data for those that don't change it, generally tells the truth. Try this:

http://www.exifer.friedemann.info/
Old Apr 18, 2003, 1:02 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
Sounds like you're getting a bit more familiar. Pics might lie, but EXIF data for those that don't change it, generally tells the truth. Try this:

http://www.exifer.friedemann.info/
Voxmagna, you are like the pathologist who can tell what went wrong with digital photos based on the Exif system. I did not install the Exif viewer software (shame on me) when I first used my 4900Z, but I can see now how important it is in post analysis.

Keep up with your superb posts. I will keep looking for them. You do this forum a great service.
dennis luz is offline   Reply With Quote