Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Dec 26, 2002, 6:23 AM   #1

Default 3800 format error

I'm trying to load pictures from my camera to my PC but I'm getting an error which says something like the file format is invalid. The finepix viewer is able to identify the number of pictures I have taken, it reads them as Jpeg, it shows file size but it wont let me view or save my pictures!! I can view other Jpegs already on my computer via the finepix viewer.

Can anybody tell me where I'm going wrong please?

Thanks
mike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2002, 5:54 AM   #2

Think I'd start by re-formatting the media in the cam and try again. Sounds like the catalogue can be read, but the file itself stored on the card might be corrupt. Can you preview your pics in the cam? If yes then the card sounds OK and the prob must be across the interface. I had this prob once when I tried a block 'move' instead of copy files. The JPEGS had big chunks missing from the pics.

Does your cam have an uncompressed (eg TIFF) mode? can you read one of these files in the cam and on your pc?
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2002, 4:31 PM   #3

There are a lot of unanswered questions:
Is this the first time you used this particular card?
If so did you format it IN the camera first?
Have you tried reading it with a card reader?
Do they display correctly on the LCD?
Have you tried reinstalling ALL your Fuji software, including the USB driver and FinePix reader?
Have you tried downloading and installing the LATEST driver and viewer from the Fuji Website?
Are you using the correct driver for YOUR operating system?
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2003, 10:46 AM   #4

Thanks for the info guys.

The camera and card work fine. I can take pictures, view etc. I've even loaded the software on to a friend's PC also running windows ME and on his system it works and the camera downloads the pictures to the PC no problem. On my PC the two just don't communicate. I've downloaded the latest windows ME drivers from the Fuji site but still no joy.

Any ideas?
Old Jan 1, 2003, 5:22 PM   #5

Still not sure what your prob is. Trying to work out if its a usb comms prob or a file format prob.

Can you see your cam as a new drive when its plugged in?
Can you copy a file (ending jpg) to your hard disc C:
Is the prob. opening a file directly from your media card (cards are slow so it's always better to work with copies saved to your HD.)

You say communicate, so I'll assume it's a USB comms prob?
Do other USB devices work when you plug them in?

Disconnect the cam, uninstall the Finepix software. Re-start windows. If system stable, what happens when you plug in the cam cable to the usb port. You should get 'searching for driver'.

I know of a couple of users on this Forum who concluded this prob. was USB plug & Play and solved the prob. with an upgrade to their pc BIOS.
Old Jan 4, 2003, 4:15 AM   #6

I can see my camera as a new drive when I plug it in. In windows ME I right click on the drive and 'close' the drive before unplugging the camera.

If I uninstall the software and plug the camera in the computer recognises it and sets it up as a new drive

When I try to download pictures all I get is a big red question mark. If I try to view the pictures using other software eg internet explorer, quick time, irfan view, all error. That seems to suggest a camera problem but if I take the camera to a friend's house the same files are downloaded in an instant! So the problem seems to be on my PC rather than with the camera.

Would this be a USB problem? Could it be my lead?
Old Jan 4, 2003, 4:56 AM   #7

I'm still not sure yet. Although the things most have probs with, like recognising your cam seem ok. I also think the Fuji software is probably OK.

You say the files can be captured and read in the cam, that's fine - so I agree no cam problem. But I'm not sure if your prob. is transferring the file from card to pc HD, or are you saying you cannot open the file to see it either by clicking on the file in your card, or the same file when it got copied to your HD?

When you are downloading, are you 'moving' (ie taking them off the card) or 'copying' (i.e leaving the original on the card, to be deleted later)

I always copy from the card and delete afterwards, since I got some file corruptions attempting moves. Forget the Finepix stuff for a mo. If you find your cam as a drive (in Explorer) can you drag copy (+) a .jpg file to your HD without an error?

Quote:
When I try to download pictures all I get is a big red question mark. If I try to view the pictures using other software eg internet explorer, quick time, irfan view, all error
So is the error during a copy, transferring from card to your HD or are you trying to open and view a file on the card? If you say your friends pc works, what happens if using your friends pc, you copy a cam file to say a floppy, can you put this in your pc and open it?
Old Jan 4, 2003, 5:17 AM   #8

Just plugged in the camera. Went to explorer, opened up the camera drive and saw a Jpep file existed in the camera. I tried to drag this in to 'my pictures' on my c drive. Got the error message, 'access is denied, source file may be in use'. I then clicked on the Jpeg file, pressed control and c to copy, selected my pictures, control and v to paste, same error. Any thoughts?

I really appreciate your time and help. Thanks
Old Jan 4, 2003, 7:31 AM   #9

Ok I'm still thinking.

You have a cam that takes pics, replays and can download to another pc and files can be read.
Your pc can read a .jpg file
You can access your cam connected to your pc's usb port as an additional drive, and see files in your cams card directory. You are using a motherboard port and not an additional USB expansion card aren't you?

Neither Finepix viewer or Windows can TRANSFER file data from your cam to your hard drive without errors. These cards are slow to transfer, is your pc latest hot stuff, or older compared to your friends? USB standards did take a while to settle down, which is why a number of boards needed BIOS upgrades. My VIA board has had 5 flash upgrades and board driver changes in 3 years!

It's seems not to be a file read error as such, there's something wrong with the error checking or format check when the file data is passed from cam across the usb link , my feeling is it's possibly usb dataspeed/format related - pc too fast for cam. or serial format from cam not compatibe with pc and driver. BUT DOES OTHER USB STUFF WORK?

Do you have other USB devices which plug in and work, like a scanner?

Go into Device Manager Properties (I'm on W98SE)and look for an entry for your cam when its plugged in under Universal Serial Bus Controllers. You should see an entry for FinePix Digital Camera. Make sure there are no errors or conflicts - in fact anywhere in Device properties.

Under Properties Driver I have driver version 2.0.1.5. Switch off cam disconnect USB.

Delete the driver in Device Properties, re-boot, check driver is not there. Close-down, re-boot with cam connected powered, either driver will be found or you will be asked to re-insert disc. This should re-install a fresh copy of the usb driver.

Try copying files. If still no luck, I'm running out of ideas, but checking for motherboard BIOS upgrades is still not a bad last resort.

Just had a brain update: GOT ANY ANTIVIRUS OR FIREWALLS INSTALLED- anything likely to block access to a remote drive or has to be told in security set up one is there?