Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old May 27, 2005, 1:04 PM   #11

iblaineman: I meant to have answered your question. (In the post starting with "not bad at all". Anyway: I have no problem with red eye at all. As a matter of fact, thinking of your question,I made a shot of my wife oudoors in almost complete dark in a restaurant yesterday evening, and there was no red eye what so ever.And Ihad not even switched to red eye reduction mode.

iblaineman and pixfan: the menu issue: it is definitely not the most user friendly menu setup, but: you have one button that brings you directly into the selection of resolution, ISO and - strange enough - color (standard, chrome(enhanced saturationor B/W). (I assume the Japanese must love such options). Then there is the main menu button, and this one brings you directly to the exposure control (+/- 2EV), metering mode (integral, array, spot), white balance (including full manual) and high speed exposure. then there are further ramifications, but I feel the most important features can be accessed with the first press of a button. And please do not forget: I am talking as someone who is quite meticulous. I really believe that it is absolutely NO PROBLEM for a young girl to set the camera either to auto mode and leave it there (would surprise me if she felt that she was missing out on something) or to one of the preset modes, but if she is more ambitious she has later on all the options. (would you believe that she is the type of person who would want to set shutter speed and aperture manually? My fondling in the menus is mainlyto substitute for this missing option, not because the camera would perform poorly without that...)

re. the video quality: It is excellent, since it is able to take advantage of the high ISO capabilities of the camera, and therefore you make silky smooth videos indoors, without any visible noise (at least at normal ambient light, I have not done one yet when it was really dark) About compression I don't know what to say, but i did not see any artifacts or so. I really think the video quality (640x480 at 30fps) is really excellent for this type of "camcorder". Definitely the videos with the Sony T1 are much noisier!

AndyME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2005, 1:37 PM   #12

Andy, Thanks for the info. I didn't see the previous reply.

I'm sure my niece would be use auto mode all the time. I think it would be small enough for her. Maybe I would just eplain the iso settings to her. Or help her pic good settings to leave the camera in.

I read in the review when you use auto iso setting pictures have more noise then manually setting the ISO.

I'm glad to see your post becuase you have exposure to some DSLRs to compare to. thanks again.
iblaineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2005, 1:38 PM   #13

Andy, Thanks for the info. I didn't see the previous reply.

I'm sure my niece would use auto mode all the time. I think it would be small enough for her. Maybe I would just eplain the iso settings to her or help her pic good settings to leave the camera in.

I read in the review when you use auto iso setting pictures have more noise then manually setting the ISO.

I'm glad to see your post becuase you have exposure to some DSLRs to compare to. thanks again.
iblaineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2005, 2:13 PM   #14

my pleasure
Old May 28, 2005, 4:24 AM   #15

@Andy

Thanks a lot again!

@iblaineman

I would "fix the problem when it occurs". Leave your niece with the Auto mode at first. Normally there shoudn´t come any "complaints".
pixfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2005, 9:41 AM   #16

A thought to the flash range.

I have to say that I am delighted by this cam and I´m gonnapurchase it for sure, but I think the flash may be that strong only at high ISO values.

Fuji claims a maximum of 21 feet........Af what ISO ???

If it is at ISO 1600 then it ranges 15 feet at ISO 800, 10,7 feetat 400 and only 5,35 feet at ISO 100. (range at ISOM = range at ISO 2xM / 1.4)

I´m sure the 21 feet refer to another ISO value (maybe 800) but it shows that "21 feet" does not say very much.

Regards

pixfan

Old May 28, 2005, 3:15 PM   #17

pixfan wrote:
Quote:
I think the flash may be that strong only at high ISO values.

that's for sure. but since the camera delivers great pictures at ISO 800, I am sure the flash is not worse than any of the competitionon the bottomline.
Old May 28, 2005, 4:27 PM   #18

AndyME wrote:
Quote:
pixfan wrote:
Quote:
I think the flash may be that strong only at high ISO values.

that's for sure. but since the camera delivers great pictures at ISO 800, I am sure the flash is not worse than any of the competitionon the bottomline.
It ismuch better I´m sure.Every reviewerfinds outstanding flash performance compared to other minis. However on a very low level. The T3s´flash for instance is appalling :roll:

Looking forward to my F10.

Regards

pixfan