Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old May 23, 2005, 6:11 AM   #1

Hi,

as i heard about the F10, I was amazed. But flash shooting seems to be limited.

It always shoots at 1/100s (right?) and boosts ISO up to 800 "if necessary".

My questions are.

Is there a workaround to overcome this?

How long does the flash reach at ISO 100 and 200 in wideangle possition?

Thanks!

Regards pixfan
pixfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 24, 2005, 1:04 PM   #2

Is there really no F10 user who is able to check those points? :roll:
Old May 26, 2005, 6:23 AM   #3

Hi...

The 1/100 is fixed. except if you go for the slow option, then it is variable, but tends mostly to 1/15....

it is true that the camera tends to iso 800 soon, because apparently they felt this was an acceptable compromise to deliver range and good picture quality. At ISO 200 you can expect someting like 3-4 yards (also depends on the location obviously).

One thing that annoys me on another note is that the camera will "export" the manually selected ISO number to the other modes...so, if in "manual" I chose 80, when I switch to Auto camera mode (not ISO mode) it will keep the 80 there...so, one has to be careful here.

I hope I was able to help a bit. I love this camera and can get along with its flaws. It makes rasorsharp pictures (level with a EOS 20D) with beautiful and faithful colors and the famous ISO range definitely puts it in a class of its own for a compact camera as of today.

Andy
AndyME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 10:23 AM   #4

How bad is red eye using this camera?
I am thinking of getting one of these for my niece for graduation. I think it might be complicated for her. I'm also thinking of getting myself one for when I don't have my DSLR
iblaineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 11:58 AM   #5

not bad at all, I feel. in a typical face to face party situation it will not occur, i would almost dare to say. (it was TERRIBLE with my Sony T1) . Where it did occur once, was when I did pics from people on the dance floor in the dark. But actually these people were not even facing me, they were looking somewhere else.

I do not even use red eye reduction normally.
Old May 26, 2005, 3:15 PM   #6

Thank you very much Andy! 3-4 yards at ISO 200 is great. I own a Sony T3 and I am not really sadisfied . . . . . . . to put it mildly.

Can you compare the F10 with your T1? Where are the major differences?

What F10 flaws did youalso find? I´m notseeking for flaws especially, but I want do awoid another mistake.

Regards

pixfan

Old May 26, 2005, 5:53 PM   #7

ok: One thing is for sure: there is no way that you can make a mistake here. This camera is awesome.(unless you estimate the shortcomings below as being crucial for you)

When I said flaws I am talking about minor things (as far as I see them, obviously): the lcd is not superdupergreat but definitely you see where you're aiming at even in the brightest sunlight..but you will not see too many detail or focus or so under such circumstances. Then it is a pity one does not have real manual control, but with spot metering and ISO changing and making use of the various auto modes I pretty much manage to get where I want to...Then there is this minor ISO issue I mentionned before, and maybe the camera tends a little bit to a slightly reduced dynamic range (if really more than other small cameras, I am really not sure) and there is alsoclearly some purple fringing on high contrast edges...you know what: I don't care....(and photoshop helps me too...)the pictures overall areAMAZING...richness of detail...you cannotcompare it to the T3 ...you're talking two worlds here...I boughtthe T7 as a present for a friend and tested it....exactly the same thing as the T1....I could send you some comparative pictures....ridiculous...one would want to believe the Sony was defective when compared to the F10....where I see detail in the object with the F10, I can see a noisy flat colored area with the Sony when shooting indoors. have you read the excellent review at dpreview.com? It says it all..and if you look at the pictures they took in their standardized studio arrangement with bottles, toy cars etc, you can see that the camera is as sharp as the Canon EOS 350 or 20D....I printed the pics (and did some color and brightness/contrast neutralisation before): most people believe the F10 pics are the one form the DSLR...can you believe this? I say: they are just as good.

That said, I do not mean to say that there is no more reason to buy a DSLR....obviously not..but this studio arrangement can be shot in almost the same way with both cameras, and this is already amazing enough, i find...also the measuredresolution is the same and it is better than the one of the canon SD 500 and even more so better than those of the Nikon 7900 or Sony P150...

So, to make a long story short: the camera is great outdoors because it makes sharp pictures with neutral colors, the display gives you a very good impression of what the actual situation was like (so when you later print the pics, you know where you want to get to in terms of color and brightness) and indoors it is anyway something else, because it allows to take pictures that definitely no other camera this size can do.Then you add the metal body (I already dropped it on the street....still works) the superfast start-up time, the looooooooong lasting battery and - not to forget- an excellent videomode.... I am extremely pleased...as you may have guessed already....:-)

I hope I was able to help you.
Old May 27, 2005, 8:02 AM   #8

I wanted to ask again, how is the red eye in your shots?
Also do you think a teen would like this camera?
Is it a pain to go through the menus to change settings for each picture?

I think I am going to get this camera for myself but I might get one as a gift also .
iblaineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2005, 10:55 AM   #9

Gee! You are very convincing Andy! Thank you very much for the comprehensive overview

Menu handling is interesting indeed.

How does the F10 movie function compare the oneof the T3?

How about the movie quality concerning compression?

pixfan
Old May 27, 2005, 10:56 AM   #10

Gee! You are very convincing Andy! Thank you very much for the comprehensive overview

Menu handling is interesting indeed.

How does the F10 movie function compare the oneof the T3?

How about the movie quality concerning compression?

pixfan