Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old May 23, 2005, 4:35 PM   #1

Best Regards Team:

I'm new to the forum and just upgraded my old digital camera (Canon PowerShot A20 2.1 MP) with the FujiFilm 5100. I'm very happy with this camera and still on learning period. My question is what's the real diference between the "Fine" and "normal" settings at 4MP...??? The pictures look the same to me....Here's a copuple of shoots of my bike last Saturday. The settings were "Auto" and the picture was edited with JASC Paint Shop Pro using the "Enhance Photo" function. To make pictures suitable for the web I always re-size my pictures to 800x600. Most of my picture taking is for showing in the Web...Do I really need to use the 4MP setting...??

Thanks

zapata is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 23, 2005, 5:13 PM   #2

I think the main difference between the two settings is that the 4N is more highly compressed, and would be more vulnerable to showing JPEG artifacts. If your primary purpose for taking pictures is for showing on the Web, and if the Normal setting is satisfactory, then I would recommend that you use it. I doubt you will ever be able to see a difference between the two settings on your monitor. If you decide to make some larger prints, the difference might be more noticeable. But, you are correct, the Normal setting produces a nice image.
jphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2005, 5:37 PM   #3

Jphess is correct the 4F is better if you plan to print at the largest size possible, and if you plan to print 4 X 6 and 5 X 7 or work on the web then use 4N setting. If you are doing Landscape try the Chrome setting it gives higher saturation of colors. I find it good for Landscape and Buildings where there are no skin tones present.
joelw135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2005, 5:41 PM   #4

I love my 5100.

Attached Images

Bucksnort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2005, 8:27 PM   #5

4Mp anything is a waste of storage space if all you're doing is posting to the web. The 1Mp setting is more than enough. Since most displays won't show more than 72 or 92ppi, an 800x600 will show up as 8.7"x6.5" on most screens. (11x8 on the older screens--72ppi). That is HUGE on the web no matter how you look at it.

For 4x6 prints, 1-2Mp is plenty and 2Mp is good for up to 5x7 easy. At 4Mp-N, a 11x17 is sharp as a tack. If you can't get high quality 8x10's at 4Mp, then something is wrong with your software or printer.

CCWKen is offline   Reply With Quote