Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old May 27, 2005, 7:59 PM   #1

I am considering buying this camera over other choices the Sony p200 & Casio z750 but I've been told by a few sales people that the LCD screen is almost unusable under bright light. Which is disappointing. But would like some different options.

Can any owners help me out on this!

many thanks.
rob_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 27, 2005, 9:28 PM   #2

Rob, it depends what one understands by "unusable". If you mean unusable to see detail, or to appreciate the colors or to see if everything is well focused, then - yes - you can call it unusable under bright sunlight.

but if you are satisfied to see what you are framing, then I can say: it is perfectly usable...

I can easily live with the screen, obviouslyit is not the strongest asset of this camera, but i am convinced that it will not prevent you from taking any picture that you mean to take. and these pictures then are just great!

you may also want to read what i posted in the "f10 flash range thread" and there is an excellent review at dpreview.com

andy.
AndyME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2005, 3:48 PM   #3

The lack of an optical viewfinder is my biggest disappointment with my F10. I'd agree wholeheartedly with AndyME in that it's bright enough in sunlight to frame your shot while not really bright enough to master composition. Calling it unusable in my opinion is quite an exaggeration.It outperforms both my old Fuji and my Cannon viewfinders in bright light (IMO). If you're using it like I am to take shots of the kids sports and schoolplays and for family stuff, the speed of the camera and it's flash range will more than make up for the lack of an optical viewfinder. With the spare resolution you have, you can always take wide angle shots and crop them to well beyond 50% and still have a great 4x6 print. Every camera is a trade off however, you'll need to decide for yourself if this missing feature is paramount to your own style. We've had this camera ~3 weeks (we use ours almost every day) and just 2 days ago I asked my wife if she missed the viewfinder, she answered that she hadn't even noticed that there wasn't one.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2005, 7:11 PM   #4

Mercury694 wrote:
Quote:
she hadn't even noticed that there wasn't one.
After I had purchased my camera I had a coffee in a coffee shop and set a table where a mid aged couple was sitting. I started opening the box and soon they asked me about cameras and that they were about to purchase one. and i told them why i had purchsed the f10 and that obviously i would try it out to see wether it met my expectations. and we talked for a while and then they asked about the viewfinder, and only then i noticed that i did not even know if the camera had one...not because i am a complete fool, but in this case, because i just did not care...:-)
AndyME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2005, 12:15 AM   #5

f10 seems like a good camera for what i want then thanks guys.

my intention is to use it for backpacking. so ill be doing face shots, scenery stuff etc. so thats why i was a little worried about being told its unusable in direct sun!
( thought i would take 4 spare batteries so not having to worry about life when im in-between power points in europe and africa, so i can have smaller & lighter camera, instead of AA camera)

its been a tough pick between this one and p200 from sony, and im sure ill be going back and fourth when i go to the shop. its a hard call between best battery & low light pictures. to view finder and smaller.

buying a camera has been more funny then i ever though!
rob_ is offline   Reply With Quote