Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jun 5, 2005, 8:03 AM   #1

I've been reading and learning a lot from the post here but I have a questionabout shooting at 10x zoom. I bought my Fuji S5100 about 3 months ago and for the most part pleased with the results althought I've still haven't learned how to use all the features. I'm getting mixed results when shooting at full zoom. I posted some of my better shots on my website, http://home.earthlink.net/~labirder/ (more birds page),but wanted to post one here and get some feedback as to what I might be doing wrong or is this as good as it gets.

Most of the pictures on my website were shot from about 10-20 feet with the exception of the red-shouldered hawk taken at about 80-100 feet. Pictures on the website have been edited and cropped while this one has only been cropped. I must have shot 25 pics of these indigo bunting and none turned out well. Is this just the nature of the beast when shooting small birds at 35-40 feet? Any and all comments appreciated.Almost forgot to mention, I shoot this oneinoutdoor modeon a overcast day.

Thanks, Bill
Attached Images

labirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 5, 2005, 8:43 AM   #2

What are you calling outdoor mode?
Bucksnort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2005, 9:28 AM   #3

Sorry, its was in landscape mode. Also shot several in auto mode with similar results.
Old Jun 5, 2005, 1:15 PM   #4

Re: S5100 IMHO, in "landscape mode", the camera defaults to ISO 100, (no longer auto ISO)I have found, I wasn't until recently, aware of this, unless younotice this, and correct the ISO to theright lighting conditions, it willcausethe shutter to release too slowly for the shot, &end up beingout of focus. I accidently found this out recently in "action mode", taking pics of my grandkidsin a brightly lit clubhouse, the camera was in ISO 100 by default, when I know from experience with this camerain Auto ISO itwould have beenISO 200, thatwould have done the trick, (even when hand held),,, result = blurry, out of focus, precious pics!,,, The fact that you shot on an overcast day, confirms my thoughts about this, check your ISO, make sure it's right!
MikDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2005, 2:11 PM   #5

Thanks, the ISO was 100 and I think that was some of the problem. What is the best mode to shot on overcast days?
Old Jun 6, 2005, 7:27 AM   #6

Nice bird shots! If you want to improve the picture quality, I think you should invest in a teleconverter (such as the Olympus TCON 17). Tight cropping tends to degrade the image. With a teleconverter, you wouldn't need to crop as much.
drw766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2005, 5:04 PM   #7

to shoot birds you need the fastest possible shutter speed consistent w/ acceptable noise

overcast days are a no-no

try iso 400 at 1/2000sec using shutter priority mode
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote