Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Sep 27, 2005, 7:54 PM   #11

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

I bought the e550 about 11 months ago (notice how it is JUST under the warranty). The picture has gone from fantastic (unbelievable) to just plain garbage.
Attached is a sample photo from the camera. I love how Fuji says that this is not a common problem, but a lot of us seem to be having similiar issues.
Take a look at this picture and let me know if this is the same problem that you may be having.

Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing from anyone with similiar problems.
Attached Images

brokene550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2005, 8:37 AM   #12

I'm sorry but it appears that your problem is exactly the same I had. in my case I had to send the camera to Fuji and they say they have to change the processor (About US$150 in my case since I live outside the States). For me it appears that this camera has a flaw design (well its specifications are fantastic and when it works it takes great pictures, but has 0% reliability. I did a lot of tests with the problem and sometimes after taking several dozen pictures like the one you show, it started to work OK for a while. So the problem is something that is not related to the lenses or mechanical parts but is processor related.

Miguel
mrios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2005, 5:49 PM   #13

I sent my camera back a couple days ago. To my surprise, it will take 4 to 6 weeks (min.) to get it back. They also stated that "they have never seen any issues like this with this camera before". I plan on selling it once I get it back. Between this and the card error all the time, I can't deal with this anymore.

Thank you for taking the time to post on this site and I do appreciate all the help that you all have been.

Mark.
brokene550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2005, 6:47 AM   #14

Reading all the posts regarding the E550 problems, there are problems with the mechanical movement of the lens, dust in the CCD that affects the picture, and the banding problem. All these problems have been reported by several people and all of them also have indicated the inability of Fuji service to deal with the problem in a timely basis (sometimes returning the camera with the very same problem). Since I have another Fuji camera, which has worked OK for more than two years, I conclude that this is a typical case where a camera, with "spectacular" features, was launched to the market before the normal debugging process, and we are now left paying the price. Of course for me Fuji is, from now on, a "NO NO company", and my intention is to sent my camera as a gift to Fuji's chairman with compliments for their outstanding product. In the meantime I bought a Canon A510 which, without the bell and wistles of the never performing E550, works fine for me.

Now Fuji is launching the E900 9 Megapixel camera. I would be very cautious to buy it.

Miguel
Old Oct 4, 2005, 8:34 AM   #15
Administrator

Something you guys may want to try before assuming something is faulty, is a different battery. Sometimes voltage problems can cause odd errors (and a bit of oxidation may even be on a contact in a new camera, even though they look bright and shiney).

If you have access to another one, it wouldn't hurt to try it (in case the problem is much simpler than assumed).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2005, 10:49 AM   #16

Wow, I never got the moire problems, but plenty of banding lines in sunlight and sometimes completely washed out photos.

I'm ready to send my second one in for repair or replacement (they'll likely replace it like they did with the first one).

Yeah, "not a known problem", or "we've never seen/heard of that problem before". I heard that back in April when I sent my first E550 in for repairs and got back a replacement about 6 weeks later. I still hear the "not a known problem" from support, even though I've already returned one camera for service.

The E550 is a wonderfully spec'd out camera, and when it works it's magnificent, but it's more like a high performance vehicle that spends most of the time in the shop.

I'm starting to think that a "lemon law"/recall might apply to this camera, especially if the problems have been known by Fuji all along, and there have been a significant number of owners who have experienced the problems. I've reached the point that I really just want my money back for the cost of the camera, as I don't have any faith that my soon-to-be "repaired/ replaced" E550 is going to be any better than the current one.

-Spencer
Spencer Allain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2005, 6:42 AM   #17

Well...., after a 3 month waiting for my E550 repair job, it is done by now and I have it back. The repair replaced the main pwb, at a cost of around 150 dollars!!. It seems to be working OK for the moment, but as the repair has a 45 days warranty, I'm taking lots of pictures just to be sure. Since the original board had some problem that became worse with time, I hope the new board will not do the same.

This camera, when it works, does fantastic pictures. For instance, you can select manual mode and ISO 800 with f2.8 and shoot without flash and no tripod in very dark places with very good results. For those that like to visit museums or churches that do not allow the use of flash, this is great.

Miguel
Old Nov 10, 2005, 12:34 PM   #18

I found this forum by searching for e550 horizontal lines. I had the same problem (horizontal lines and overexposure) with my fujifilm e550. I sent it back to Fujifilm and they fixed it, under warranty. It worked great for a few weeks and then suddenly the same thing started happening again. I just talked on the phone to someone there and they are sending me a fedex sticker to send it back again. She says maybe they will swap it out. But for what? It sounds like this problem is pretty common with the E550's so I'm not too excited about getting another one. I'm very dissapointed and now I'll be without a camera for several more weeks.

-Jody
jodym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2005, 12:53 PM   #19

I think this banding problem is due to some faulty chip in the main PWD. There are several of them in both sides of the board. The question is, in my case, that this problem appeared around two months after buying the camera, initially just as a overexposure problem, then the horizontal lines appeared and finally (around 5 months after buying it), the full banding problem. Sometimes, after taking lots of pictures, the problem corrected itself. So it is not a problem that means a chip broke, but it has instead some delay in starting working, which becomes worse and worse with time. Some of the camera functions are not affected (for instance the video capture function). Now it is possible that the chip which is causing the problem was included in several or all of the E550 cameras, but it appears that the majority of users do not have this problem and we are out of luck. Just in case, and in order to compare or find when a faulty board was made, I include the data of my board.

It says Y-761 MAIN PWB CB1431-0100

Miguel
Old Nov 10, 2005, 1:03 PM   #20

Miguel,

That's a good idea. When I get home, I wil post that information too. Where would I find it on the camera? It would be interesting for those of having the problem (and those not having the problem) to compare.

-Jody
jodym is offline   Reply With Quote