Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jun 13, 2005, 10:16 AM   #1

If one purchased the F10, would he also need a more advanced digital camera - e.g., w/ wide zoom lens (12x) and manual controls, like the Canon S2 SI or G6? Or is this little gem enough camera for most shooting needs? Thanks! :?
Justinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2005, 3:30 PM   #2
sfk

If I only had one camera then this little jewel would be the one. I currently own several dslr's. a zlr (oly e-10), various sony's 828, w-1, some other assorted brands, a-1, fugi 7000, uzi2100, etc. I have been taking pictures with digital since agfa came out with their first digital product. I have really never met a camera I didn't like. But I also have been on a personal search for a "do all" camera that stays in my pocket and takes "great memories" at any time and in any place. I like a camera that has a quality "build", good dynamic range, high speed functioning, usable high asa and bright "real to life" pictures that are sharp and not processed looking. This camera really produces images that rival (in some basic areas) my nikon and cannon dslr's with good glass attached (and without a lot of time spent in photoshop). I usually really have to work at getting good, useable pictures or just "luck out" and get the rare "keeper". I shoot thousands of frames a week and generally keep just a few. The f-10 has a little magic (pixel dust perhaps) about it. It is starting to feel like my e-10 - the camera that I reach for because I like using it. It has a soft shutter release, forgiving speed of focus and capture, tack sharp lens, and most of all the results are generally not just good but really well exposed, pictures that "jump" off the page and print full page prints that make me scratch my head and ask "this little camera took these pictures?"For long rangepictures I have been using stabilized lens and recently the pana z10 and really like the lz2. Its nice to safely zoom but I guess I am now more likely to "walk" to frame the picture and I really don't need the stabilization with the f-10'shigh asa andcamera speed as much as I thought. I don't really use wide angel a lot and the CA issues seems overblown. It is a rare day that I print larger than 8x10. I also have not missed the manual controls on this camera. Its a pocket camera that can do some of the tasks that I thought only a dslr was able to do well. The only issues that I have found after several thousand pictures is that it tends to make reds really hot and whites can lose some detail. Set on manual with ev -2/3 and adjusting my asa I have found this camera to really meet my needs as my "carry" camera and in some areas I don't even have to get out another more expensive and specialized camera to get the results I want. Form really does follow function in this case. Can you guess I really do like this pocket rocket?
sfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2005, 5:12 PM   #3

Thanks! OK, I am almost convinced. I have only one other concern about the F10. It does not have an optical viewfinder and I have never used a camera without one before, so I am worried about camera motion if I just rely on the LCD. Is this something a user like me can become accustomed to, or should I look for a comparable camera with a viewfinder. If so, can you recommend another one - Casio? Canon? etc. Any chance Fuji will put a viewfinder on the F10 in the future. If it had one, in mho, it would be perfect.
Old Jun 13, 2005, 7:39 PM   #4
sfk

I have not found the need for an optical viewfinder on this type of pocket camera. Most of the viewfinders on these small cameras are very constricted and do not give a true picture of what you are seeing. The fugi screen is good in the house and gains up when needed via a button. Outdoors it fades somewhat in bright sunlight but that has not been a problem because you do not focus manually with this type of camera. It allows enough of a view that composing the picture is no problem. And no I do not think that fugi will add an optical viewfinder on this type of camera. I have used the various casio's and pentax and minolta cameras. The casio 750 is very nice but I do not feel its picture quality can match the f-10. I also have enjoyed the w1 sony. I find that I have not really used their optical viewfinders as a focus aid as I had thought I would. I have not found the "folded optic" camera's really able to produce a sharp picture that I like. I wish you well in your search. I really like this little camera. It works for me.
sfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2005, 3:40 PM   #5

Thanks again sfk. Your personal experience w/ the F10 convinced me to take the plunge. I bought the F10 today for only $313.75 (inc. S&H) from buydig.com. I'll keep the forum posted about it as time goes on. :-)