Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jun 13, 2005, 8:59 PM   #1

Hey F10 users, whats all this I hear about the F10 preforming bad on auto ISO. I hear that unless you use manuel ISO, the images are very noisy and bad. Isn't it suppose to be a p&s. Please someone correct me about this because otherwise it willprobably be the one I get. If you could post sample pics to help show me, that would be great
too busy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 15, 2005, 4:07 PM   #2

I believe the problem with the F10 Auto ISO is it too quickly chooses a much higher ISO when it could lower the ISO and use the flash instead.

There is also a Natural Light scene mode that tries to take non-flash photos using high ISO, so I am not sure why Fuji would make their normal mode's Auto ISO behave in such a way.

However, reviews indicate that once you choose ISO 200 or lower then the camera will take very good photos except in the lowest light situations where you would need to manually go to ISO 800 or 1600.

LD500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2005, 11:32 AM   #3

On the same note, I have read that the F10 makes "average" pictures for a compact/ultra compact automatic model when on it's auto function. I'm thinking about buying this camera, but don't know anything about manual settings and ISO's. I'm not scared to learn, but would like to buy something that I can use right away and learn at my own speed. Are the automatic photo's as poor as everyone seems to mention, or just in comparison to choosing your manual ISO? I don't mind dealing with "average" for a short period of time while I learn, but I also don't want to have a huge learning curve.
How hard is it to choose one's ISO? it sounds like it takes a bunch of time, possibly time that you'd miss your shot in.
Thanks a bunch!
Sylorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2005, 5:35 PM   #4

I would say the F10 is no worse than the average compact camera on AUTO mode, in fact it's probably significantly better than average.

When it's quite bright outside the photos are excellent, when the light level is really low and you can't use a flash then the F10 is more capable than others.

The only issue seems to be when the light level is slightly low. With other compacts the ISO might go up to 200 and your photos are okay. The F10 would jump up to ISO 800 and they are slightly more grainy. It's odd, sometimes I find the F10's ISO 800 photos quite a bit more grainy, sometimes they are easily as good as other compact camera's ISO 200 shots. In those situations you could go into the menu and set the F10's ISO to 200 and get a superior photo. It's quite easy.

How difficult is it to learn to use the ISO setting? Easy. Very easy. It's more a question of whether or not you want to bother taking 10 seconds delay to set the ideal ISO from time to time. My wife hates doing that, I don't mind.

My summary is the F10 should be at least okay, but usually much better, than other compact cameras inAUTO mode but if you wantto put up with some inconvenience you can get much betterresults in certain lighting conditions.

Sylorna wrote:
Quote:
On the same note, I have read that the F10 makes "average" pictures for a compact/ultra compact automatic model when on it's auto function. I'm thinking about buying this camera, but don't know anything about manual settings and ISO's. I'm not scared to learn, but would like to buy something that I can use right away and learn at my own speed. Are the automatic photo's as poor as everyone seems to mention, or just in comparison to choosing your manual ISO? I don't mind dealing with "average" for a short period of time while I learn, but I also don't want to have a huge learning curve.
How hard is it to choose one's ISO? it sounds like it takes a bunch of time, possibly time that you'd miss your shot in.
Thanks a bunch!
Old Jul 3, 2005, 5:36 PM   #5

Thanks. I did end up getting the F10, and you're very right, it does take surpurb pictures even in auto mode (although it is very fun to play with the camera to figure out the best settings, etc). Glad I got it!

Sylorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2005, 11:40 AM   #6

I read somewhere on another forum that it is best to keep the ISO at 200 on the F10 and then forget about it. But then you would be taking all your photos at ISO 200 and then your light situation (whether indoors or outdoors) would not be properly adjusted by AUTO mode or another ISO that would be more appropriate. :?Bottom line: is it better just to leave the F10 on AUTO mode and let the camera make theadjustment or can someone recommend setting the ISO to a particular mode and just leaving it there? Thanks. As you can see I am a newbie and intend to ask the same question on the Olympus forum because I also have a C-7070.
Justinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2005, 2:52 PM   #7

I've tried leaving it on ISO 100, 200, and 400 but now I just leave it on Auto mode.

When I really want to get a perfect photo and the lighting is slightly dim (not too low) then I lock it at ISO 200 or so. As long as the shutter speed doesn't drop too low I go for the super low noise ISO 200 (or lower) and avoid the camera bumping up to ISO 800 automatically.

By the way, I tried Neat Image on the ISO 800 F10 photos and they come out really good. Certainly excellent for a 4x6 or 5x7.

At first I was really disappointed to see the F10 jump to ISO800 so quickly on Auto mode but now I find I can use Auto mode 95% of the time. ISO800 isn't so bad, and Neat Image software really works well on the F10 photos.