Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jun 14, 2005, 1:08 PM   #1

I have had the S602 Zoom for about 3+ years now and it has been a great camera for my needs. However, the last year or so all the pics I take are dull or cloudy. The colors are not as bright and vivid anymore.

I don't beleive I have been doing anything different than I have done before. The camera is a wannabe SLR where you can manually adjust shuuter speeds and other items, I would often use the auto focus and use a 400 speed setting to get "action" pics of the kids and the photos usually were great. I have also just tried the completely auto settings and get the same results.

But as I said all the colors are muted and gives a dull or cloudy look. Is it the camera getting old and not functioning properly anymore, or maybe should I try other settings?

I really can't afford a new camera and would hope that this camera should have some life left in it. Any suggestions?

Thanks
rbarr110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 15, 2005, 1:15 AM   #2

Hi - I assume you are shooting in Manual Mode. Why are you using 400? 400 will introduce a lot more noise into your shots - hence dull and cloudy. Try the same shots at 160 or 200.

regards

stepheno
stepheno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2005, 5:28 AM   #3
Baz

Is that your experience Stepheno using a 602 at 400iso ?
It seems unlikely to be rbarr's problem, as he previously used 400iso for action shots & said "the photos usually were great"

I had thought using 400iso with my 602 may be a problem. But recently to get some indoor stage shots, I had to use 400iso at f2.8 1/40sec to get adequate exposure. The results were surprising. Certainly not dull, cloudy, or lacking vivid colors. I printed several A4's with good results. There was no noticeable noise. It surprised me & I have continued to use 400iso on occasions when required.

But this is not much help for rbarr. He appears to be using similar settings that previously gave great results. Doesn't sound good, but some things to check:
Have you changed the white balance, the sharpness, or the exposure value settings? How are you judging the images? On the monitor or prints. Have any settings for those changed. Are they both "dull" ?

Hopefully you may be able to resolve the problem before accepting the camera could be faulty. Can any other 602 users comment or advise rbarr? Good luck.
Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2005, 11:33 AM   #4

Thanks for the replys!
The pics have been cloudy on both the monitor and prints (prints being both the printer as well as actual prints).

I do not beleive I have changed anything to alter the outcome, but will experiment this weekend with the different recomendations here and report later with any solutions.

If anyone else has an opionion/recomendation please post so I can give it a shot.

THANKS!

rbarr110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2005, 3:41 PM   #5

Hi Baz - it is my experience if one is shooting 400 iso in normal conditions. Rbbarr110 mentioned action shots so I assumed he would be outside - and under normal outside lighting he wouldn't need 400 - and 400 does produce more noise - ipso facto.

I totally agree that if shooting indoors, as you have said, then increase the iso. But if he had altered another setting with 400 iso then the conditions he stated couldapply. I'm sure rpbbar100 would appreciate any suggestions which might cure his problem - even if they are wrong.

regards

stepheno
stepheno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2005, 8:37 PM   #6

rbarr,

Could you post a few of the dull or cloudy looking pics, so that we know what that condition looks like? Maybe someone here has experienced the same condition, but calls it something different.

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2005, 11:58 AM   #7

Gidday,
In 3 years of repairs, this is a new one to me. Well it won't be a "fading" CCD or other electonics, there's really no such condition. Even then, I've only seen / heard of ~5 faulty CCDs, and it was EASY to pick those :-)
All I can offer is, go over ALL settings again and post a sample as mentioned. Also, do a comparison between TIFF and 6MP Soft.
To take a peek inside, goto www.digsys.com.au/s602/s602.html
JKirk

jkirk@oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2005, 1:01 AM   #8

Do you use UV filters and the extension tube? If so, did you recently change the UV filter?

There are a million grades of filters out there, and you've got a green box Hoya on there, welcome to heck.

ALSO (and this may be it, it was for me) try to set the AWB manually. A photo that is dull (lacking contrast with a blue-ish tint) will pop if you set it correctly.
PastorJeff is offline   Reply With Quote