Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jan 4, 2003, 11:09 AM   #1

Default Date missing after download or process on Fujifilm MX-2700

Hi, I bought a Fuji MX-2700 digicam and I cannot print (view) the date and time on the photos just downloaded to PC from the SmartMedia Card!!

The date and time imprinting is present in Playback mode, I set the DATE ON in DPOF menu and after that, SET ALL for all the frames!

But the date on the photos processed at express laboratory is missing!

Why not appear the data on the final prints?

Can anyone help with this problem?
mival is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 4, 2003, 11:55 AM   #2

I thougt Digital Print Order Format (DPOF) only gave instructions to print firms as to which frames and how many should be printed. Although 'Exif Print' is data which the print firm can use to optimise printing because it tells them details about your shots.

Perhaps if you edited your pics before sending the files, you used an early version of a photo editor to crop, edit etc, which stripped off the data?

I've never used this, but if on the print order you ask for it to be imprinted, you'd only get it if data was still in your file headers, or is it in a separate file that goes with the JPEG pics?.

I'm sure cams don't burn this into the JPEG image themselves - but I'm open to be corrected as I've never used the facility.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2003, 5:03 AM   #3

Hi voxmagna!

I must tell you that all the notes about DPOF settings are extracted from my MX-2700 user manual and it says:

"...You can use the DPOF settings to to specify the following:
- the frames to be printed and the number of prints for each frame(you are perfectly right here!)
- imprinting of the date and time..."

So, I understand that final printouts shall contain the date and time on them (in playback mode is present!)

Downloading of shots were made with PICTURE SHUTTLE SOFTWARE included in the original package (on CD), but i've tried also with ACDSee, IrfanView or Ulead and the result was the same!

I can't imagine where is something wrong, but I must find the answer!

Thanks anyway voxmagna!
Old Jan 5, 2003, 7:17 AM   #4

Hi, I was a bit confused. I didn't think the intention of DPOF was 'to permanently burn in date and time' or other details of shot actually on the pic itself e.g like a file watermark. But I can see a situation where a separate shooting file or the EXIF header is used and you request from the printer you want the data burned on the output print - where it puts it, who knows.

However, for record purposes, like with film, it can be very useful. I have a feeling some editors can burn details on the output print and you can choose font sizes and placement. Are we talking about the same thing?

This would then be a specific instruction to the printing company, not something that was automatically applied, because people who didn't know and set this option accidentally in the cam, might be unhappy with their prints.

Check with ACDSee v4 and higher you actually have EXIF data in the files you sent for printing. Last thought: is this only a Fujicam to Frontier thing?

I've followed this up a bit here:

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6147
Old Jan 5, 2003, 10:09 AM   #5

Hi again!

It's all about, in fact, recording the date and time on Smartcard Memory and then, the machine in the Processing Laboratory to recognize (read) this date!

The idea is that I've printout a full Smartcard even at Fuji Express Lab on a highly performance machine, but the technicians out there couldn't tell me why the date is lost in processing!

Tommorow I'm going to have a next try on an AGFA machine and see what's going to happen!

That's becouse I found a topic in Q&A Fujifilm site for MX-2700 which stipulates the following:

"Q: I set the date in the DPOF settings when I took the picture, but the date is not displayed when I download the image file to my PC!

A: Even when the date is set in the DPOF date setting on the digital camera, the date is not displayed when the image is viewed on a PC using software such as "Exif Viewer" or "FinePix Viewer". The DPOF date setting is only used for including the date on prints produced by some of DPOF-compatible printers or services"

And after reading this I must say which are those DPOF-compatible printers or services-maybe AGFA, KODAK, etc,etc... and which are other software viewers instead of using "Exif Viewer or Fine Pix Viewer"???

What can I do in this situation?
Old Jan 5, 2003, 2:21 PM   #6

Well I didn't think I'd have to do any work on this, but since it's a bit interesting I'll provide some fodder relative to my Fuji S602z.

On my cam card there are 2 directories. One, 'Dcim', contains the JPEG image files, the second called 'Misc' has just one file called Autprint.mrk

I shot 2 JPEGS at noon today. I look at the jpeg file info in Explorer and they were created dated and timed at noon. I look at the EXIF data and the date and time were noon today.

I switch on my cam in preview mode this evening and select the option DPOF date on. An icon tells me its set. I remove the card and check the file properties of my JPEG images shot at noon, they have not been modified and show the noon creation date.

I look at the file Autprint.mrk and it has been updated to the time I said 'apply the DPOF date'. I read this file with my hex editor and it contains not the past shot date at noon, but the present time and date when I set DPOF on.

I then replace the card in the cam and delete my original JPEG images. When I check the card, the JPEG files have gone, the file Autprint.mrk still exists, with a header describing the cam, but the time/date data has been wiped.

So your comments about EXIF I now understand. The data on the JPEG headers is EXIF data which can be read by ACDsee. This is real time shot data which, if unedited by you, tells the real truth when the shot was taken. Whatever you do afterwards with DPOF DOES NOT MODIFY EXIF DATA OR THE IMAGE FILE.

The cam, creates the second file Autprint.mrk and APPENDS a current date/time when you say add DPOF. If you delete an image file the cam updates this auxiliary file and deletes that shots date from its table.

It's true that ACDSee etc can't view this file, but it is in plain text so either rename it to Autprint.txt, or set your pc file view options to open Wordpad on a .mrk extension (your cam might use different extensions)

I feel happier that DPOF seems pretty useless for me, - why would I need to tag images with a date/time different from when I shot them - and then it can only be the time I hit DPOF Date set in the cam?

I know you are trying to get a print facility to do something with this but I'm not sure what use it serves. Online print houses will only take JPEG uploads, so only a printer which takes your flash card is likely to see the Autprint.mrk file and do something with it.

The date and time data printed on the reverse of a print from a Fuji Frontier will come from the EXIF data in the file - unless you wiped it with an old editor.

Cheers - Vox
Old Jan 6, 2003, 5:46 AM   #7

Hi Vox!

Sorry for the delay, but yesterday the local access to the Net was breakdown and I could not answer you in time!

I read carefully all the facts sent to me, and the first conclusion is:
<<Your card memory didn't match with mine>>!!

My Smartcard contains only (Exif) JPEG files!

No sign of Autprint.mrk or any other...!

So, perhaps this is an explanation of missing date imprintings!

Anyway, if further conclusion appears I'll inform you!

Keep'n touch,
Mike
Old Jan 6, 2003, 8:48 AM   #8

Try doing a card reformat in the cam, that's when my 2 main directories are created.
Old Jan 7, 2003, 3:27 AM   #9

Yes, that's an interesting idea!

I'll reformat today and I'll let you know the result!
Old Jan 9, 2003, 1:01 AM   #10

It seems that all my efforts are in vain!

I reformated the SmartCard Memory and the result was the same as previous!

There is only one file after I take shots (JPEG)!

I'll have to explore further...!