Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Fujifilm

Old Jun 28, 2005, 11:22 AM   #1

Hey all! Well, I'm headin' off to California with my Fuji S5100, and I'm wondering if anyone has any tips to make a B+W shot of the Golden Gate look good.

And now, a critique: What do you think would have made this shot better? I mean, I know it's tilted, but I kind of like it like that. Good, bad, or ugly:??
Attached Images

DGCT00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 28, 2005, 8:10 PM   #2

Hey DG, welcome to the forum! I see you have that ISO situation under control.

Although the focus is a little soft in the upper third, you got a great shot there. I had to taketwo or three looks to convince myself it wasn't ice. Don't be afraid to use Aperture Priority and stop the lens down to max. (f8, I think--If light allows) That will give you a greater depth of focus. Also, the macro on the S5100 is superb!

As far as your trip out West, take a good polarizing filter with you. That will help push the sky and bring out clouds. That should also darken the water and eliminate glare. Change the PL angle for different effects.

Are you shooting in B&W or converting after the fact?
CCWKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2005, 11:23 PM   #3

I shot it in b+w. I don't know, I always seem to feel guilty when I alter my pictures, hahaha! Why, would shooting in color, and then converting it make it a better picture? One reason I didn't shoot in color, was because everything has been having kind of a blue-ish tint to it.

"Change the PL angle for different effects." Okay, I got it, I'm a newbie when I say this: What the hell does that mean!? Hahaha, and thanks again about the ISO advice!

I'm gonna post up some pics I justtook in NYC tomorrow, when I load em into my computer. A couple came out really nice!

DGCT00 is offline   Reply With Quote